What Annoyed You Today? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Woke up to flashing lights in parking lot. Another college kid died of an overdose in the next building. I don't understand why these kids do this when every day the news bombards us with the likely outcome of such risk taking...

Based off of this, as well as other posts you made (the cockroaches for instance), I would be searching for a better place to live by now.

Woke up to flashing lights in parking lot. Another college kid died of an overdose in the next building. I don't understand why these kids do this when every day the news bombards us with the likely outcome of such risk taking...
Students frequently have mental health issues. My wife works in a university and she has some tales to tell. They have some suicide attempts every year, usually but not always unsuccessful. A few each year end up in psychiatric care. At least one a year falls in a river. A university has a few thousand people aged 18-21 which is possibly the most dangerous time for all types of misadventure. I remember when I started work, all 600 trainees were addressed by the training manager in a huge hall. He told us that statistically by the end of our training 4 of us would be dead, it turned out to be 5.

The problem is some of the condos are owned by "investors" who sometimes rent to people that would otherwise not be able to be here. Sucks but I can't afford a move at the moment.

Sorry to hear that.

When my wife and I moved from Germany to Iowa 5 years ago, we rented in a townhome community. Had lots of problems with the other renters as well as the managers.

Quickly got out and bought a house.

Buying a house is no guarantee either. I've lived in he same house now for 24 years and have seen the neighborhood evolve. The house next door was owned by a nice elderly couple when we moved in, they sold to a nice young lady who later rented it to some relatives with BIG DOGS, then a crazy feminist moved in. Hint: crazy feminists hate kids - and men - and women who have kids. She finally moved out after we sprinkled enough holy water. Now there are a couple guys, post college, who asked if this was a quiet neighborhood, since their college partying days were behind them. The party starts 11pm every Thursday and ends around Sunday afternoon. Every week.:(

Buying a house is no guarantee either. I've lived in he same house now for 24 years and have seen the neighborhood evolve. The house next door was owned by a nice elderly couple when we moved in, they sold to a nice young lady who later rented it to some relatives with BIG DOGS, then a crazy feminist moved in. Hint: crazy feminists hate kids - and men - and women who have kids. She finally moved out after we sprinkled enough holy water. Now there are a couple guys, post college, who asked if this was a quiet neighborhood, since their college partying days were behind them. The party starts 11pm every Thursday and ends around Sunday afternoon. Every week.:(
Feminists in my opinion are grumpy old men. They don't like anyone except their dogs and female friends who you must treat like royalty. I have one in my family, she now lives in a community of female dog walkers.

Absolutely correct. That is why you do your research first though, and only move into certain neighborhoods.

Of course as in your case the neighborhood can evolve, and you have no influence on that, but I think your odds are pretty good if you buy in certain places...

Last edited:
We live in a "growth" state, meaning the population is growing in a staggering fashion. Particularly this area as it has consistently rated in the top 10 places to live in the US. I have owned several homes, and built one. The issues here are that in some neighborhoods the HOA is, or becomes, an organization that puts the Gestapo to shame. The last house I built I had to have approval from the HOA, the Architecture Review Committee, and every neighbor in line of sight to even change the exterior trim color. We were required, in the middle of the worst drought in local history, to have at least 60% of our frontage landscaped with an approved selection of shrubbery, on and on it goes. And this all happened AFTER we moved in when the developer turned the HOA over to the community once build out was finished.

When I lived in Cary the TOWN zoning committee was worse than the HOA, for instance no Yard Sale signs allowed. They would rip them up and fine you 50 dollars per sign. Home Depot was forbidden from adding their trademark orange stripe around their store as it was felt this was "tacky". Any tree larger than 3 inches in diameter that you wanted to remove from your own property required approval and a 250 "fee" to get the required approval. Then you had to advertise the fact you were removing a tree and solicit neighborhood comments and feedback for two weeks prior to removal.

An approved palette of home colors and trims were published every year and you could not vary from them. Then of course there was the HOA in the neighborhood that you still had to get approval from for anything you did especially to the exterior of the house such as siding, a deck, a fence, play equipment for the kids etc etc.

In Florida I lived in a community that was great when we moved in, then evolved to the point where no vehicles could be parked on the street or in the driveway. Had to be in the garage. Also no "commercial" vehicles which they defined as Pickup trucks and full sized SUV's regardless of what they were used for. There was a 4 acre plot on the outskirts of the town that was fenced for parking those vehicles and then you were allowed to use an electric cart to get home. All this as well happened AFTER I moved into the neighborhood. And yes I stayed active at HOA meetings and so forth. But of course majority rules and it sucks they can impose these restrictions on you AFTER you have been there for awhile.

So buying a house is not the answer for me anymore, at least not here. But both my kids live in the area so I am reluctant to leave the area so I am more or less stuck here. Beware the HOA!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back