What Annoyed You Today? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yeah, I already posted one, sometime. Not sure which thread. Here is another:
IMG_8914m2.Crop.4x6.jpg

Actually the older copy of the FAA standards says you are supposed to paint the tips of the prop both front and back. After all you could walk into one from behind, too. But I do not like the idea of an orange, yellow, or white circle in front of the windshield. So I'll leave the back just flat black.

I am considering painting the leading edges of the wing red, as a means of fighting corrosion. The early ones did some of that, although they had fabric covered wings and thus had to paint them something. Looked good, too.

AirTrails45Ercoupe-1.jpg

ME annoyed me today. I am not very good at safety wiring bolts and screws. I safety wired the prop bolts today and, like usual, I have to be satisfied with safety wire actually being installed, probably not put on backwards, and that I did not run out of band aides to stem the blood flow from the cuts. I am in favor of the safety wiring practice but not very good at it. When an A&P looks at my safety wiring he usually does not say a word but just strips it out and does it himself, kind of like you would not fuss at a two year old for filling his pockets with mud or painting the family cat. What would be the point?

Back in the late 1980's a USAF officer with the ATF SPO said that the SPO director and Deputy SPO director decided to get some practical experience and went out and changed the engine on an F-15. Perhaps that was commendable, but as a result of that they vowed it was henceforth a policy for the ATF program that NO SAFETY WIRE would be used. Now, both those guys were no doubt far worse at safety wiring than I am, and as a result of their own incompetence directed the stuff be eliminated. Given that the F-22 cost something like 10 quadtrillion bucks each and I have to wonder how much of that was because two ham-fisted untrained manager types did not like getting their fingers stuck with stainless steel wire.

And yes, I painted the cat.

ME annoyed me today. I am not very good at safety wiring bolts and screws. I safety wired the prop bolts today and, like usual, I have to be satisfied with safety wire actually being installed, probably not put on backwards, and that I did not run out of band aides to stem the blood flow from the cuts. I am in favor of the safety wiring practice but not very good at it. When an A&P looks at my safety wiring he usually does not say a word but just strips it out and does it himself, kind of like you would not fuss at a two year old for filling his pockets with mud or painting the family cat. What would be the point?

Back in the late 1980's a USAF officer with the ATF SPO said that the SPO director and Deputy SPO director decided to get some practical experience and went out and changed the engine on an F-15. Perhaps that was commendable, but as a result of that they vowed it was henceforth a policy for the ATF program that NO SAFETY WIRE would be used. Now, both those guys were no doubt far worse at safety wiring than I am, and as a result of their own incompetence directed the stuff be eliminated. Given that the F-22 cost something like 10 quadtrillion bucks each and I have to wonder how much of that was because two ham-fisted untrained manager types did not like getting their fingers stuck with stainless steel wire.

And yes, I painted the cat.

Ah good old safety wire. Even as an A&P I was not satisfied with mine all the time.

Mlflyer: Switch to Safe-T-Cable, yeah, it's more expensive, but less of a hassle for a lot of installations. It's all we use on one program. We've even got approved standards for using it to replace cotter keys on certain types of installations.

Got banned from Alternatehistoryforum for correcting a user about a website that is being accused of some mean stuff online.
I did not defend, nor endorse it, just corrected some info,that was enough for being banned from it.
I feel annoyed but not surprised, the site has gone very politically charged and some great users had already either being banned or left.
I'm looking for good alternatives, i do not know many.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back