What Annoyed You Today? (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So, I use my laptop computer in the morning, and it's working fine. I see a notification that Windows wants to restart to do an update. I tell it to do the update and shut down, as I have to go out for awhile. When I come back, I turn on the laptop and . . . it's all screwed up.

First, the sound is gone. No sound at all. Not through headphones, not through speakers, nothing. The settings and icons say everything's fine. I try to play a test sound, and it won't play. Not only that, but the built-in video player in Windows no longer plays any video files I have. It simply refuses to do so, stating there's an error but offering no details. When I try to watch a livestream or video on YouTube, these won't play either.

Great. The update wiped out sound on my laptop and screwed up the playing of videos too.

So, I uninstall the update. That doesn't work. The issues remain.

Next up is reverting to a prior system restore point. But of course, this is buried in Windows 10 as compared to Windows 7, so I have to root around online to get the proper steps. This is eventually accomplished, and a restore point from prior to the update is restored.

The laptop is back to normal. Everything functions as it should.

Thanks, Microsoft. That was a fun update. I really enjoyed the annoyance!

That is one reason I still use Win7 on my main computer and the Windoze 10 box is never connected to the internet

That is one reason I still use Win7 on my main computer and the Windoze 10 box is never connected to the internet

I was still using Windows 7 until my desktop PC finally expired in a strange way last year. That's when I got a laptop which came with Windows 10.

It's the reason why I don't use Microsoft software anymore. They should first fix the archaic update system before I even think of using windows again. And of course the stupid "wizards" that make windows a black box.

To be fair, I've had no problems with Windows 10 updates until that most recent one. But that one . . . whoa!

It is the first time I ever did 'Update and shut down' instead of 'Update and restart'. Maybe that messed something up? In any event, I'm not doing any Windows updates for a little while.

I've got to go into the real world and find a proper job- I've finished uni
I was still using Windows 7 until my desktop PC finally expired in a strange way last year. That's when I got a laptop which came with Windows 10.

To be fair, I've had no problems with Windows 10 updates until that most recent one. But that one . . . whoa!

It is the first time I ever did 'Update and shut down' instead of 'Update and restart'. Maybe that messed something up? In any event, I'm not doing any Windows updates for a little while.
This thread is nearly as old as I am
So I'll add something new. I ordered a set of metric hex Allen driver bits . I need 1.5mm for a series of small set screws grub screws So I get one set the 1.5 mm bit spins like a drill bit in the hex socket. I have only one bent Allen key that works so I really needed these . So like a dam fool I ordered another set thinking maybe a fluke Second set same thing so I write a one star review poor quality. Then I get email from the company support, they say try the 5/64 " one well it doesn't take much measuring to see this isn't going to work either butbibgoband measure then try itvyep doesn't work. Not even close so I go back and measure the 1.5mm driver . Lo and behold it's slightly tapered so I could cut it off a little but then I have a make do tool that potentially could round off the little hex leaving me with trying to remove a tiny set scre grub screw from an irrireplaceble part. So I send a follow up note to support. Stating that I'm not some ignoamus and that it doesn't take a genius to figure out the concept of trying something that might work . Then I get another note saying the 5/64 will positively work. Ok now I've had it . I wasn't going to send this cheap chinesium part set back but now I have two of them dollars and cents no longer matter. Amazon is pretty good about guaranteed returns if you do it in the time frame . So I enter the return goods arena. This is pure Mickey Mouse club thing but my toes have been stepped on once too often . So Amazon sends the return ticket with a note that UPS will pick up today in the morning . I read down a little and note my phone number is completely wrong and the address information has an error . So I call ups . They want all the tracking numbers and Amazon numbers . Well I don't see very well and I have double vision to boot . The printing is so small I have to use double magnifying glass just to see it . So I call well I don't get anyone in English speaking country . Now I'm really hostile . So I call again and wait . They say I have to go to Amazon I said I got up early to make sure I could meet the ups truck . It's pouring rain they are not allowed to come into your home . Fine , I dig out my umbrella. They are 3 hours lateslready. So now I'll probably spend the rest of the day dealing with Amazon. I'd just eat the junk but it's principal now . I'll stir the pot until it boils over . I should have just gone over to harbor freight I guess . I'll dig in my misc box , maybe I'll find remnants of an old set

This thread is nearly as old as I am
So I'll add something new. I ordered a set of metric hex Allen driver bits . I need 1.5mm for a series of small set screws grub screws So I get one set the 1.5 mm bit spins like a drill bit in the hex socket. I have only one bent Allen key that works so I really needed these . So like a dam fool I ordered another set thinking maybe a fluke Second set same thing so I write a one star review poor quality. Then I get email from the company support, they say try the 5/64 " one well it doesn't take much measuring to see this isn't going to work either butbibgoband measure then try itvyep doesn't work. Not even close so I go back and measure the 1.5mm driver . Lo and behold it's slightly tapered so I could cut it off a little but then I have a make do tool that potentially could round off the little hex leaving me with trying to remove a tiny set scre grub screw from an irrireplaceble part. So I send a follow up note to support. Stating that I'm not some ignoamus and that it doesn't take a genius to figure out the concept of trying something that might work . Then I get another note saying the 5/64 will positively work. Ok now I've had it . I wasn't going to send this cheap chinesium part set back but now I have two of them dollars and cents no longer matter. Amazon is pretty good about guaranteed returns if you do it in the time frame . So I enter the return goods arena. This is pure Mickey Mouse club thing but my toes have been stepped on once too often . So Amazon sends the return ticket with a note that UPS will pick up today in the morning . I read down a little and note my phone number is completely wrong and the address information has an error . So I call ups . They want all the tracking numbers and Amazon numbers . Well I don't see very well and I have double vision to boot . The printing is so small I have to use double magnifying glass just to see it . So I call well I don't get anyone in English speaking country . Now I'm really hostile . So I call again and wait . They say I have to go to Amazon I said I got up early to make sure I could meet the ups truck . It's pouring rain they are not allowed to come into your home . Fine , I dig out my umbrella. They are 3 hours lateslready. So now I'll probably spend the rest of the day dealing with Amazon. I'd just eat the junk but it's principal now . I'll stir the pot until it boils over . I should have just gone over to harbor freight I guess . I'll dig in my misc box , maybe I'll find remnants of an old set

As Roseanne Roseannadanna famously said, it's always something.

Training scheduled at work on one of my days off. Driving into town, I had the suspicion that we'd get there and then a bunch of hurry-up-and-wait would screw up the last day of my weekend.

It started panning out exactly that way. The monitor for which we were training was not installed because our IT guy is pretty much a cockwomble who needs two shots at every job. This was no different, trying to hang a 42" monitor into 5/8" drywall without even having a studfinder in his toolbox. So after about fifteen minutes, I left. I'll train on scheduled time and do leave my damned days off alone already.

Overtime? What is that?

Haven't really had to work OT since I laid the wrenches down 6 years ago. Even though I am salaried, my company will actually pay me OT if I have to work it, or I can flex the time if I want. That's what I usually do. Lets say I have to work an hour over on a Monday and a Tuesday, I'll just take two hours off on Friday and do something with the family instead. Time with my kiddos is way more valuable than hour or two more on my paycheck. Work-Life Balance for the win!

Finally had a chance to unload the argon/co2 bottle for the MIG welder I got for my shop last year. Had a heck of a time getting it unloaded, as I could barely pick it up. Put it in the tank holder on the cart and it doesn't fit...:mad: Got it and the cart chained to a work table in the garage, as I don't like it not fitting the cart and I don't want to risk bottle rocketing it should they tip over.

Now I have to build a cart that will handle this size bottle and find a hoisting clamp to get it in and out of the truck when I need to have it filled.

I repainted the propeller for my Ercoupe and was mindful of the fact that the FAA requires propellers to be marked at the tips to help ensure people can see them and thus not walk into them. I looked at a 35 plus year old copy of FAA Advisory Circular 43-13 and found they required the last 4 inches of each blade be painted with a non-reflective yellow-orange color both front and back. But I new that document had been revised at least a couple of times since then and wanted to get the current standards. I could not find any reference to that requirement, either in the later version of AC43-13 or the Advisory Circular that deals specifically with propellers!

I did a search on line and was very amused to see the photo pop up that I had posted here of the Monogram 1/32 F3F-3 I had built and had been careful to paint the tips of the prop in the three colors used in the 1930's - but no real info on current FAA requirements. I have no idea why the FAA made it so hard to find; it still must be a requirement, somewhere.

Shucks, maybe I'll paint the Ercoupe prop tip in the 1930's style, three 4 inch bands of yellow, dark blue, and red.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back