What Annoyed You Today? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Got my DMV license renewal letter in the mail taday. I have to get an appointment, go take a knowledge yest, and a vision test. My worry is the vision test and I'm hoping for eye surgery before I set up and appointment.

Good luck, did mine a while back just to keep my license valid, managed to scrape through as laser eye treatment for my right eye was a week later. Now I have a cataract growing in the left eye. Such is life.

Well, this morning I am once again annoyed at Lawn Mowers That Have No Throttle.

I guess the idea was to reduce emissions by eliminating the throttle. And instead of a choke they provide a primer, a little rubber bulb that creates a suction to draw some fuel/air mixture into the cylinder. The big problem is when the weather is cooler the mower will start but does not want to run because the thicker, cooler air combines with the lower vaporization of fuel to produce too lean a mixture. This is particularly true when the mower is older and wear has reduced the suction from the cylinder. I wanted to cut the front yard this morning so I can do other things during the day but with an OAT of 68F the mower won't run but a short while. Put a hair drier on the engine for a while and it will run longer but not log enough. So I just ordered a new mower from Walmart and they say it will be here Friday.

Those of us that operate air cooled airplane engines are quite aware of the need to prime more when the weather is colder and to help things out just after the engine starts with a careful use of the throttle, application of carb heat or even an additionl shot of primer. None of those are options with the modern push mower.

Yesterday we got our usual weekly 13,000 litre water delivery (all suppliers are 13 or 26,000) and so last night I ran the rainbird irrigation to water the trees. On top of the weekly delivery we like to keep about 15,000 litres in case of delivery problems.

One valve did not close last night and today we have dry tanks and our usual supplier is totally booked with scheduled deliveries for the next three weeks so I am about to go into town with the trailer and pick up 3,000 litres to tide us over. Because the IBCs have not been used for about a year they have a layer of mouldy water so first stop will be to get 3 2L bottles of bleach and pour one bottle into each IBC, let rest for an hour. then fill, then drain and then actually fill with the water for home.

Supermarket only had one container of pure bleach - all the rest had eucalyptus oil, lemon oil, lavender oil or some other additive that I do not want in my coffee. Came home with only 1000L of water. Will have to do a trip a day with the one IBC until next Wednesday and our trees will have to survive with minimal water. The pomelos and grapefruit that got the extra water are looking very healthy for some strange reason. It will be interesting to see how large a green grass circle we have around those trees tomorrow.

Troy will deliver 26,000L next week, truck and trailer.

Bit of a knock back about your valve but glad you have managed to get the 26,000L of water.

Whoa! Around here there are multiple places nearby that sell 2.5 gallon and smaller containers of Sodium Hypochlorite for the swimming pools.
But you are not living 20km (12 miles) from a town of about 500 people where there is only one supermarket, a couple of servos, two real butchers (who do home kills by arrangement), a hardware and a bakery. Swimming pools are not common and you never put pool chlorine in dams.

I can get Sodium Hypochlorite in Bundaberg but that is over 100 km away and getting water now was more important than wasting a couple of hours.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread