What Annoyed You Today?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Stinky........ arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh
The nose decal....... perfect!!! 😜
The IV-M............ not so much
The serial........... WT#$% did i do.
Numbers and letters 40% too short.
Cryin in my beer today. Will have to
come up with IV-M somehow,
numbers from spares! 💩

Not good Bill. What size the tail numbers and ident letters Bill. I may some old stocks of WWII decals and I'm assuming you want black. :lol: :lol:
I still haven't looked around old mate. I believe I have some but will shout if I am in need!

But Meanwhile, I have learned some lessons on this one. Let's see if I can make sense of it.
First, DO and I mean Do put black down under SMS metallics!!!!! For best results!
They are a Transparent carrying Flake. They are the brightest When sprayed Over black.
Fuselage, I did spray PL01 Black (it goes by no other name) as a base color then PMT04 Super Silver
as my Overall Silver fuselage finish.
On the wings my base was PL33 Camo Black. I thought the flatter finish would change the color
of PMT09 Metallic Aluminium and it kinda did, made for a less glossy finish. What I wanted as they
were filled, sanded and spray painted. Although the cold temps at altitude made this paint degrade.
That's what I heard somewhere.
Flaps and elevators I also used PL01 Black under CHM01 Hyper chrome. I wanted a really bright surface.
Got that!!!!!
The exhaust surround. When I did the nose art on Merlins Magic I remember it being Stainless Steel.
So I masked and painted them with PMT05 Stainless Steel, DOH! I wanted to do the ammo doors SS
but I had already put the decals down.... pfffft.
So I have com to my own conclusion if I put the lightest of the metallics down (over black) I can then
use Any of the other metallics with success and not have to worry about color shift.
Decals as a plus; I tried another method for the decals no clear Under!!!!! I used a little makeup sponge tip,
with a little water onnit, and a drop of Vallejo Water Based Decal FIX applied on the surface. Applied the decal
as normal over this pressing all the liquid from under. Cleaned the surface around the decal with another
sponge and a bit of water. This solution stuck my instructions to my matt!!!!!! Decals seem permanent!

Here's Stinky so far! Nose art anyway!
Stinky 8.jpg

img20323d.jpg

I still haven't looked around old mate. I believe I have some but will shout if I am in need!

But Meanwhile, I have learned some lessons on this one. Let's see if I can make sense of it.
First, DO and I mean Do put black down under SMS metallics!!!!! For best results!
They are a Transparent carrying Flake. They are the brightest When sprayed Over black.
Fuselage, I did spray PL01 Black (it goes by no other name) as a base color then PMT04 Super Silver
as my Overall Silver fuselage finish.
On the wings my base was PL33 Camo Black. I thought the flatter finish would change the color
of PMT09 Metallic Aluminium and it kinda did, made for a less glossy finish. What I wanted as they
were filled, sanded and spray painted. Although the cold temps at altitude made this paint degrade.
That's what I heard somewhere.
Flaps and elevators I also used PL01 Black under CHM01 Hyper chrome. I wanted a really bright surface.
Got that!!!!!
The exhaust surround. When I did the nose art on Merlins Magic I remember it being Stainless Steel.
So I masked and painted them with PMT05 Stainless Steel, DOH! I wanted to do the ammo doors SS
but I had already put the decals down.... pfffft.
So I have com to my own conclusion if I put the lightest of the metallics down (over black) I can then
use Any of the other metallics with success and not have to worry about color shift.
Decals as a plus; I tried another method for the decals no clear Under!!!!! I used a little makeup sponge tip,
with a little water onnit, and a drop of Vallejo Water Based Decal FIX applied on the surface. Applied the decal
as normal over this pressing all the liquid from under. Cleaned the surface around the decal with another
sponge and a bit of water. This solution stuck my instructions to my matt!!!!!! Decals seem permanent!

Here's Stinky so far! Nose art anyway!
View attachment 780611
View attachment 780613
Good info on the SMS paints Bill. :thumbright:

Massive Charlie-Horse cramp in my left calf last night, would not loosen up for a good 2 minutes, then 20 minutes after that the big toe on my right foot decides it wants to participate in the fun and agony and cramps up and tries to bend under my other toes. This morning my left calf is still sore.
Drank a couple glasses of water afterwards, and did not have a jar of pickles in the fridge to take a swig of liquids from so I substituted some liquid from a jar of Jalepeno stuffed olives!!! Talk about an eye opener, I think my muscles got the message not to act up anymore.

Last edited:
So many jobs at work today it's hard to decide which to start. For any job I choose, there are 6 others that someone wants "right now!"

The @#$%^&* morons at the National Archives of Australia who cannot correctly date things even when the item actually has its date on it.

According to them the Lockheed C-130 was in service with the RAAF from 1932 to 1965. The date on the first drawing is very clearly 1953.
View attachment 781055
View attachment 781056
I think you will find that it is just categorised in that date range in their system - it is not trying to imply that it was in service since 1932

Massive Charlie-Horse cramp in my left calf last night, would not loosen up for a good 2 minutes, then 20 minutes after that the big toe on my right foot decides it wants to participate in the fun and agony and cramps up and tries to bend under my other toes. This morning my left calf is still sore.
Drank a couple glasses of water afterwards, and did not have a jar of pickles in the fridge to take a swig of liquids from so I substituted some liquid from a jar of Jalepeno stuffed olives!!! Talk about an eye opener, I think my muscles got the message not to act up anymore.

Some people claim milk helps but it does nothing for me.

I think you will find that it is just categorised in that date range in their system - it is not trying to imply that it was in service since 1932

Their "service standards" require the date to be the dates recorded on the file cover but it is often just what they feel like at the time, and they are too lazy to read the file cover sheet.
A lot of files are misnamed as well. I was surprised to find one covering 20mm cannon in Beaufort aircraft and when I got it naturally was for Beaufighter aircraft.
In many others critical words in the title are wrong and in many Wirraway and P-40 files they are shown as opening and closing on Jan 1, 1800. Their motto appears to be She'll be right mate.
In the list below the entries Dredger, Wirraway, Aircraft almost certainly apply to the dredging ship called Wirraway, not any aircraft.

1717186075075.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back