I had taught my last daughter basic boxing and how to properly throw a punch. One day after school, she made a comment about a girl bully hitting people as well as my daughter. I said that I thought I had taught you how to handle that problem. She said, "I know, Dad, but they always catch the one who hits back, just like in football."
I know my instruction was well learned a year or two later at a family gathering when she suddenly turned and punched her male cousin on his bicep. The cousin had been teasing all evening and I didn't see the actual punch so I commented, "That wasn't much. I know I taught you better than that." My daughter's boyfriend, now son in law, said to me, "She hit him pretty good." I later saw the cousin rubbing his shoulder.
So, a job well done