What do, or what did you do in the 'mob'?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Happy Birthday....

"But why are you telling me this? I already know that in every war people make heroic sacrifices just so other people may enjoy freedoms they probably never knew." You are missing the point....

I don't know if you realize just how close we came to losing it all....If the Japanese wanted to, they EASILY could have invaded, we had NOTHING to stop them with....

Except for Stalingrad, the Germans would have linked up with the Japanese in India....

The Japanese hated the US so much and so badly they had a top secret mission using suicide submarine-launched aircraft to drop high explosive 'dirty bombs' on San Francisco and Los Angeles...this was excuted well before Hiroshima and the only reason why it was stopped was VJ day in Tokyo harbour...IT WAS IN ROUTE when the surrender was signed....

If not for your grandfathers and mine, I shudder to think of what could have, and almost did happen.....

It would have been harder for the Japanese to invade than you think. They had a very large ocean to cross and even if they had invaded they would not have gone very far. First of all they would not have been able to resupply there forces long eneogh to push far eneogh inland. Much of the US War production was on the East Coast and the US would have kicked the Japanes off the mainland with ease.

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
It would have been harder for the Japanese to invade than you think. They had a very large ocean to cross and even if they had invaded they would not have gone very far. First of all they would not have been able to resupply there forces long eneogh to push far eneogh inland. Much of the US War production was on the East Coast and the US would have kicked the Japanes off the mainland with ease.
Yes they would have done. The Japanese would of been masacred or evacuated (the former would have been more likely as the Generals would not have ordered a reinbarkation)

Agreed with you there Gnomey. Really there was no place for the Japanese to go except for South and the Australians would have done the same to them and kicked them off there Island!

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
Agreed with you there Gnomey. Really there was no place for the Japanese to go except for South and the Australians would have done the same to them and kicked them off there Island!
Agreed Alder. The outer limits of the Japanese circle of influence when it was at is height were as far a Japan could really go. She could have maybe advanced into India and more of China but in the S/SW Pacific they could not really advance anywhere. Austrialia and the mainland US where a step to far.

Yeap and the Japs even knew that. The only reason they invaded parts of Alaska was as a diversionary force, they knew that they could not go up the Islands and down threw Alaska. The Japs were not as Stupid as people think and they were not stupid eneogh to invade the US.

I didn't say the Nipponese would have succeed in invasion, I said they could EASILY have invaded....taking and holding are two completely seperate issues...especially with every house that would have becoming a fortress and most Americans like the idea of guerrilla warfare...at least in this neck of the woods....this country was ripe for invasion though.

fact is at the start of the war, we in the US didn't have enough .30 cal machine guns alone to stop anything, and most of those that we did have were in cosmoline....you ever try to clean a weapon emersed in cosmoline coming from long term storage?

Agreed BW big countries are easier to invade but almost impossible to conquer even the Mexicans have very little trouble crossing the boarder
so making landfall would be hard without detection but not untenable
I don't think every house would be a fortress however, there would have been just as many refugees as any other invaded land. guerrilla tactics have limited effect against any sizable force at best a pain in the neck and engaging some of the enemy forces in guerrilla control and at worst bringing terrible retribution down on the civilian population.

with millions of former but trained soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen around with WW1 combat time? what do you think would happen? most homes where I live have at least 3 firearms now (EVERYONE hunted then!!!), many have much more than that....and those old-timers could part your hair with the first shot and notch your ears with second and third!!! (grandma ALSO ALWAYS outshot grandpa at turkeyshoots!!! grandma could put the fear of God in you... quick!!!)....I have seen my grandpa take the head off a chicken from the back porch to the coop, about 75 yards; he said his pa was a much better shot!) plus they know the terrian and the land...yes, many would have died...but many would have lived too....

The Japanese Imperial army where not turkeys or chickens BW, poultry does not in general to the best of my knowledge tend to be in possession of very much in the way of small arms, tanks or 300 mph aircraft contain high explosive ordnance however I may be wrong one never knows :)

The US is a huge land mass and it has a very mobile society. They may have been able to take and hold a small spot, but sustained occupation would have been impossible. Between guerilla tactics and subversion, it would have been a tough job for the Japanese. Of course the big advantage is the home field advantage. Most folks know their towns well enough to know good places to defend or to hole up and harass from.

trackend, you miss the point....the region where I am at is very different in attitude than most areas within the US...this region here is made up of the Scots,Irish and Welsh clans that came from Britian and vowed never to lie down again....I was taught 'better to die on your feet than to bend a knee, to any man'....the reason why there is very little crime here, today, where I live is that we can and do shoot back, accurately....and the 'depression kids' were a real caution to be around....there was a reason why you said your 'Yes, Sirs' and 'No, Ma'am's' around them....this is the Scots-Irish mountain clans region of the Applachia....they will not roll-over for anyone....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back