What do you do for a living?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Its been so long I don't remember if I added this. In addition to an Animal Control Officer for a local government I am also Southern Region Director for the New Jersey Certified Animal Control Officers Association. This pic is of the other officers with the Association (I'm 2d from the right).

Here is our website...

NJ CERTIFIED ANIMAL CONTROL OFFICERS ASSOCIATION

Attachments

• 2008-2009-Officers.jpg
    2008-2009-Officers.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Hey Chris, nice to see you in your working environment. I checked out your website, you have interesting and noble profession. I myself very much like animals (have two dogs at my home) and I admire anyone who takes care for animal welfare. Here in Serbia we don't have anything like your Animal Control Service. (Btw is this the same as those animal cops I watch on Animal Planet?) This kind of work is left to local veterinary stations and municipalities. Some big cities like Belgrade have such Services (some sort anyway), but my home town currently does not. There was so called "ZOO hygiene" organization for a while in my town but it doesn't work any more...

Last edited:
It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure that's a girl... :)

Glad to see you passed the test! :):):):)

imalko, yes, it is exactly as they do on Animal Planet. I can't believe I've been able to make a career out of it and a government job at that. But even after 30 years I still love it.

In addition to just picking up dogs, cats and wildlife, I've developed cases against animal abusers and made arrests and gone to court. I was lead officer against the NFL player Todd Mcnair back in 1996 when he was dog-fighting - Michael Vick wasn't the first!! I've gone in with SWAT teams, US Marshals and just about any law enforcement agency. I live close to the Delaware River so we get involved in migratory birds and what happens there. A few years ago I was assisting with oil bird recovery when the Athena oil tanker split open. I'm also on a CART team - County Animal Response Team - so that in the case of a disaster, there won't be anything like what happened in New Oreleans with animals from Hurricane Katrina.

The job is never boring.

Last edited:
i used to be a sercurity officer 5yrs, gardener 3yrs, mechanic 2yrs now i am unemployed ( i was on invalidity for 5-6yrs )

I still work at a PS2 and PS3 Games Rental store and in my spare time I manage a Metal band, but managing the Metal band has not got me a paycheck. With everything going on now in the world and in my country it is not a good idea to change from one job to another.

RAF for 14 years, couple years in Saudi with BAe as ex-pat with Saudi Airforce, returned to UK and picked up a Production Scheduler job with Avon Cosmetics. Big financial squeeze in UK so returned to Saudi for just over 5 years. Moved to Australia and became a Pomme. Set up in a take-way in Brisbane, bloody hard yakka that, stuck it for a couple of years and then went to Oman with Omani Airforce, money much better. Back to Oz and worked for Snowy Mountain Hydro Electric as Store Manager for about 5 years, lovely location, then to Canberra in contract development in the Federal Parliament House. Now make models, potter in the garden and cook some dam good meals. I'm retire. Latest hobby, chatting to you guys.
8)

Last edited:
I've been selling nuts and bolts for the last 15 years, I've forgotten about anything else I'm qualified for, roof tiler by trade but haven't been on a roof for 22 years.

RAF for 14 years, couple years in Saudi with BAe as ex-pat with Saudi Airforce, returned to UK and picked up a Production Scheduler job with Avon Cosmetics. Big financial squeeze in UK so returned to Saudi for just over 5 years. Moved to Australia and became a Pomme. Set up in a take-way in Brisbane, bloody hard yakka that, stuck it for a couple of years and then went to Oman with Omani Airforce, money much better. Back to Oz and worked for Snowy Mountain Hydro Electric as Store Manager for about 5 years, lovely location, then to Canberra in contract development in the Federal Parliament House. Now make models, potter in the garden and cook some dam good meals. I'm retire. Latest hobby, chatting to you guys.
8)

You've got around a bit; makes me feel tired just looking at the number of different places you've lived in and jobs done.

I've only lived in England, perhaps if I started life again I'd get around and explore the world more. Oh well, I suppose we've got the world wide web so I can talk to people across the globe with ease now 8). I travel around the UK quite a bit now as a project manager in part of the construction industry, which I quite enjoy doing.

Last edited:
No worries, Loiner as I've lived in New Jersey all my life too, and I get to travel by speaking to all my friends here on the forum.

Example: A little while ago, I had a problem with a person who was Polish and barely spoke English. I asked Wurger for some help in translating some text and everything worked out in the end. Never could have done that before without the net and the forum. So, its all relative. :)

I now have a job.... of sorts. I work for The Checkered Flag Motor Car Company, a mega dealer in the Tidewater area
which sells 29 different brands from 22 stores. I will be a DX driver for them, picking up cars from one dealer and
taking them to another. I drove for them before, and the highlight of my life was driving a 12 cylinder Jaguar to
Richmond, Va. from Va. Beach.... 102 miles.

Charles

That sounds like a great job Charles. I did a very short stint whilst on leave in the mid 70's, driving Porsches from Germany to Jersey, Channel Islands. Just a week helping out, but I loved it! Cash for playtime I thought at the time!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back