What do you sound like?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The West Country burr in Newfie speak is unmistakeable. Cabot did set off from Bristol after all!

http://www.matthew.co.uk/

Also I can hear a lot of Irish and Scot in Newfie, and to me at least theres a very slight Scottish thing going on in the background of all Canadian accents. (excepting Quebec of course)

Something more - Before I moved here, I lived down in the centre of town, on a place called Redcliff Backs. Although the Apartment block was brand new, the street definitely was not. One day in the library I went through the street maps to see how far back it went and by the time I got all the way down to the Medieval maps, it was still there - clearly marked.

Now, in the 15th century, all of that area was owned by the Knights Templar St. John and they rented land to merchants and shipbuilding firms. Even better, it appears there was a dry dock right on the very spot where the apartments now stand - and we know for a fact the original Matthew was built in Redcliffe.

Who knows? But it looks pretty good historically speaking.

Hey, that's pretty cool! :)

Here lanc, try some tunes from Great Big Sea. ;)
They're the best group to come out of Newfoundland, IMO. They do a combination of contemporary rock and pop mixed in with traditional Celtic. It's actually pretty good. :cool:

Attachments

• great_big_sea__113.zip
    14.8 MB · Views: 38

Users who are viewing this thread

Back