What Is The Last Movie/Show You Saw?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Top Gun: Maverick

It was everything you had hoped for. Nostalgic, over the top, sometimes corny, and funny in all the right spots. I definitely enjoyed it.
Yeah, I concur, after finally getting around to watching it. Dumb, but all the tropes in the right places, so fun it is.

I guess the Navy fliers who watched it likely knew the P-51 Maverick keeps as a pet was Cruise's own plane?

Maybe he'd blown the CGI budget on close-up facial 'deep fake' imagery to lose the wrinkles in the bed scene,
but c'mon an F8F Bearcat in Blue Angels livery ought to have been there - rather than his Mustang, an Airforce bird.

Yeah, I concur, after finally getting around to watching it. Dumb, but all the tropes in the right places, so fun it is.

I guess the Navy fliers who watched it likely knew the P-51 Maverick keeps as a pet was Cruise's own plane?

Maybe he'd blown the CGI budget on close-up facial 'deep fake' imagery to lose the wrinkles in the bed scene,
but c'mon an F8F Bearcat in Blue Angels livery ought to have been there - rather than his Mustang, an Airforce bird.
I thought the Blue Angels flew F6F's.

SPOILER ALERT
My wife and I saw the movie together. She maintains that everything after the test plane break up is Maverick's death dream. He reconciles with Goose's son, and Penny. He gets to fly the F-14 one more time.
The mission they go on, they call the AAA firing convergence, "coffin corner." Coffin corner is where an airplane flies at a high altitude and can't slow-because of low speed, rarified air stall, but can't accelerate because the aircraft is at Max mach. That is where the experimental airplane comes apart. He gets to literally ride into the sunset with the girl and leaves the Naval aviators with his wisdom, his legacy.
So, yes a little corn in the plot but perhaps a little depth.

Last edited:
SPOILER ALERT
My wife and I saw the movie together. She maintains that everything after the test plane break up is Maverick's death dream. He reconciles with Goose's son, and Penny. He gets to fly the F-14 one more time.
The mission they go on, the AAA firing convergence is called "coffin corner." Coffin corner is where an airplane flies at a high altitude and can't slow-because of low speed, rarified air stall, but can't accelerate because the aircraft is at Max mach. That is where the experimental airplane comes apart. He gets to literally ride into the sunset with the girl and leaves the Naval aviators with his wisdom, his legacy.
So, yes a little corn in the plot but perhaps a little depth.
Clever, & plausible filler for the gaping plot-hole, but what about the pending sequel?

Ghost rider in the sky?

Or will he emulate Hunter S. Thompson & ride his OG Kawasaki H2, (yeah the 750 triple), across the city at midnight, high on LSD?

I thought the Blue Angels flew F6F's.

The Angels used Bearcats from 1946 to 1949.

IMG_2554.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back