What Is The Last Movie/Show You Saw? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Moscow on the Hudson
1984 Movie.
I watched it because my Wife asked me if the actors in the movie were actually speaking Russian.

Lol, In my very humble opinion there was a much better reason to watch that particular movie.

maria_conchita_alonso.png

The Falcon's Brother, 1942, with period cars. A new 1942 Buick convertible with several Buicks, 40 -41, and a nice 1940 Pontiac convertible.
American Graffiti - Real cars and real music.

Moscow on the Hudson
1984 Movie.
I watched it because my Wife asked me if the actors in the movie were actually speaking Russian.
I think they were trying but it seems that about half of them were not native speakers or didn't really know the language.
I think you are correct. I believe Robin Williams did not have any Russian ancestry in his DNA, although I seem to remember a quip from many years ago that said Williams learned a little Russian phonetically, while he was preparing for the film.
...of course, Williams was also a master of the double talk, so that whole factoid may have been complete BS.

I think you are correct. I believe Robin Williams did not have any Russian ancestry in his DNA, although I seem to remember a quip from many years ago that said Williams learned a little Russian phonetically, while he was preparing for the film.
...of course, Williams was also a master of the double talk, so that whole factoid may have been complete BS.

I don't have any Russian ancestry either, but I learned in a VERY good language program in college and had lots of practice in and out of class.
The things I was noticing was that some of the people were making common pronunciation errors for people who are just learning the language or someone reading from a phonetic translation and not knowing the actual pronunciation habits of Russians.

Alec Baldwin sounded like a pretty fluent Russian speaker when he met Captain Ramius in Hunt for Red October and he was just doing it phonetically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back