What the engine?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maglar

Tech Sergeant
Jan 29, 2009
Florida
So i've come to a point in my build regarding painting the engine. I dont have a clue regarding it and what it wants me to paint, ive tried googling the items but I get car engine pictures. I'm sure someone would easily lead me in the right direction, this will also help me on my B17! Heres a picture from the P-61..

Attachments

• DSC_0035.JPG
    DSC_0035.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 70
Now thats nice stuff Vik!! I will reference but I was asking more along the lines of what and where push rods, cylinder heads, rocker covers, and exhaust pipes [etc.] are located on the engine drawings I posted.. Since I will be displaying my engine I want to get it right. :D

Sorry about that. Hopefully this is a little better. Valve Covers = Rocker Covers. The exhaust pipes I believe are the "rods" that face foward on your part #63

Wright_R-1820_Cyclone_labeled.jpg

Sorry about that. Hopefully this is a little better. Valve Covers = Rocker Covers. The exhaust pipes I believe are the "rods" that face foward on your part #63

Wright_R-1820_Cyclone_labeled.jpg

That is correct; I typically paint the exhaust pipes "rust", since that is what happens to them after being exposed to intense heat for a long time (just look at the underneath of your car), and I typically paint the crankcase (the center part where the propeller shaft sticks out; it's called a "propeller reduction gearbox" in the picture) a gloss gray of some sort, either Gloss Gull Gray (FS #16440) or Aircraft Gray (FS #16473). The cylinder heads are typically a silver color (they're made out of aliminum, after all), and the rocker arm covers and tubes are typically a gloss black.

Thanks you two, this should clear up the confusion! I'm going to go crazy trying to paint these little details!

Last edited:
Found it on your link Vik, with your reference shot and the actual engine I feel even more confident!

Attachments

• PW-R2800-39-Dbl-Wasp.jpg
    PW-R2800-39-Dbl-Wasp.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 72

Users who are viewing this thread

Back