What would you like to be on a B-17 or B-24

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
I am Just wondering what position you would like to fly in a bomber.

A B-17 or a B-24

Pilot, Co-pilot, Engineer, Navigator, Bombadier, Left Waist, Right Waist, Ball Turret, Tail Gunner, Radio Operator.

Personally a Engineer. I know a lot with aviation and I would get to use those .50 cals on the B-17

I have been the Radioman on the Navy PB-1 (B-17) and the PB4Y-2
(a single tail version of the B-24). As far as I'm concerned it's the best
spot on the airplane. I've had the pleasure of sitting in the right front
seat, too. Of course, when someone is shooting at you, you wanna be
someplace where you can shoot back.

Charles

Tail gunner on a B-17, or the top turret, not sure who would normally man that. I'd say Ball as well, but it seems too cramped for me, and I'm not really claustrophobic at all even...tho I'm a little guy, so I'd fit. ;)

I think the engineer manned the top turret. The radioman had the single .50 that fired out of the hatch in the radio compartment. That gun was removed after a while since it's range of fire made it mostly ineffective.

TO

njaco said:
Radioman on a B-17. I think they controlled the top turret. Wanta good view all around.

ToughOmbre said:
I think the engineer manned the top turret. The radioman had the single .50 that fired out of the hatch in the radio compartment. That gun was removed after a while since it's range of fire made it mostly ineffective.

TO

Our PB-1's didnt have a top or belly turret. I had a little cubby-hole on
the starboard side with all my gear. The only weapons on board were our
Govt. issued Model 1911's.

Charles

Either one - as long as it was over the Caribbean doing sub patrol duty. Pilot of course flying it with my Hawaiian shirt and my 50 mission cap!

Either one - as long as it was over the Caribbean doing sub patrol duty. Pilot of course flying it with my Hawaiian shirt and my 50 mission cap!

I agree... and to that I'll add SAR missions looking for island girls.

I'd like to be a B-24 pilot just like my great Uncle Rudolph :)

After seeing what the German minen rounds and flak did to both of the heavies, I'd fly with Joe. With Joe as the PIC, I would feel safe enough to take up about any other position. And Joe, don't forget the aviator shades! 8)

After seeing what the German minen rounds and flak did to both of the heavies, I'd fly with Joe. With Joe as the PIC, I would feel safe enough to take up about any other position. And Joe, don't forget the aviator shades! 8)
YEP! Gotta look cool for happy hour at the "O" club at the end of the day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back