What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the comments guys!

Yep, I think the shading should definitely have been a bit lighter (or atleast not so pronounced), but she still looks alright sitting on the desk, so that'll have to do for this one.
There are other things aswell I would like to have done better too - keep them in mind when I do the next one!
(Engine and cowl now in place, btw, final filling and sanding taking place in prep for fueslage painting)

Jan, luckily not too much external rigging on the Dr.I, just between the upper fueslage and landing gear assembly struts...maybe you should do a Fokker first aswell!

Evan , there is another detail I have just reminded myself. The stitch on underside of the fuselage. Do you have any idea on how to make it?

Beaut job on the Dr1 Evan, very impressive! If I tried that, in that scale, the next day headlines would read something like - "Vintage Triplane breaks world speed record in flight across Cheshire!" - due to the fact I'd thrown the thing as hard as i could in frustration!
Jan, bin the acrylics for NMF and go with enamel, using the method I described, or maybe that expensive Alclad thingy. Or Bare Metal Foil, in varying shades, if you can find the patience.

I am in no way responsible for Terrys reaction to this.

The Wildcat I started during the GB I pulled out today and whacked some decals on her. Its not a great effort for me but I'll finish it off pretty soon.

Instructions weren't that clear and the star and bar looked at little odd on the fuselage as you can see.

Attachments

• wildcat1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 65
  • wildcat2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 66
Thanks again for the comments guys! I have to say it is BLOODY good to see something finally getting finished!

Wojtek, I've been trying to work out the best way to do the stitching myself. A Hungarian modeller (Lőrincz Péter) made the same kit and used the Part PE set S.72 219 'Lacing type B' which looks very impressive, if a little too pronounced for the scale (what do you expect for 1:72 though...)
Not having said set, I'm thinking of either playing with hair-thin stretched sprue, or maybe just etching with a craftknife in such a way that the edges are slightly raised...what do you reckon?

Alex, nice to see the Wildcat coming along!

Last edited:
Not having said set, I'm thinking of either playing with hair-thin stretched sprue, or maybe just etching with a craftknife in such a way that the edges are slightly raised...what do you reckon?

Do you mean the seam on underside?

In my opinion it would be better to copy a similar stitch using rasin and plasteline or silicon rubber for a mould. Then some sanding and voila.

Looking rather good Alex - for one of those machines!! But then, it hasn't got its undercart on yet, so that's a big improvement in overall shape!! Nice job mate.

Users who are viewing this thread