What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

thanks Wayne and Terry. I'm going to have to sand it down a little bit, cos there's small bumps all over the thing. could be dust. but I will respray it.

BACK to modeling! I've sanded down and resprayed the MD-80, gave it time to dry and then pulled the tape off nice and carefully. got some bleeding in there, but I can fix that easily enough

Last edited:
chromed up parts of the wings and tailplanes, and also applied a coat of clear gloss. everything looks nice. I'm gonna apply all the decals before I glue everything together.

Nice! It was a big son of a whatsit wasn't it?! Seems the RN must have run competitions for who could design the ugliest aircraft for them!

Absolutely. There seems to have been an ongoing battle between Blackburn and Fairey to see who could come up with the most butt-ugly kite. I think Fairey clinched it with the Gannet, which is so ugly it looks like it shouldn't even be able to fly.

Hmm. The Barracuda was an earlier contender for the F.I.U. Award (F**k It's Ugly Award) !!
I reckon the thinking must have been along the lines of "Well, it's got to be strong, to handle deck landings, the undercart has to give prop clearance, and the wing has to provide maximum lift. So, we'll carve it from the solid, and therefore, it'll be a real Hippocrocofrog...."

Hmm I don't mind the Barracuda too much. The Firefly was fairly elegant I suppose, and the Fulmar looks like something you might grow tomatoes as opposed to fight a war in. The Blackburn Roc looks like a flying Massey Ferguson though. Nothing quite matches the Gannet for sheer ugliness though, surely.

I guess you're right. If this was your girlfriend (see pic) you wouldn't take her to the pub to meet 'the boys', that's for sure!!

Attachments

• Czech 087.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 90

Users who are viewing this thread