What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bill, the two tins in the center, if the address is Hull, are the 'real', original Humbrol, and should be fine. They'll be at least five years old, and may need a lot of stirring, but should work fine. The tin on the right is the current stuff - might or might not work, but will not be as good as the original - and you can bet if you get another tin there'll be a difference in shade, or viscosity, or both!
I haven't seen the yellow cement containers in the UK, but perhaps my shop doesn't stock them. The design is new, but the cement wil not have been made by Humbrol, only the name being used, as the factory, and the company, no longer exist. I can't comment on the quality, as I no longer use the stuff , due to the original 'Britfix' cement being unavailable when the factory closed.I had to then use Revell, among others, which I still do.
Wojtek, I keep trying different tins of Humbrol, within an assortment of colours. Some work, some are poor quality, some work but are not the shade they're supposed to be, and so on. All the Humbrol metallics are of very poor quality, and very inconsistent.
I've placed an order with Hannant's for some frequently used colours from the Xtracolour range, which do work, and are superb. Unfortunately, they're out of stock of a couple I wanted, including two of the metallics, but I'll re-order when back in stock.
I'm also going to try a couple from the Model Master range, starting with metallics.
Unless Hornby improve the Humbrol paints (by finding a better manufacturer), then my days of using them, after 50 years, are over!
I was beginning to think I was perhaps being paranoid, but, talking to Iris, the owner of my LHS on Tuesday, she told me a number of her customers have commented on the paint. Also, she now only stocks the 'fast-moving', basic colours, which equates to about half the choice there used to be at this shop. I'm still working on trying to get her to stock an alternative enamel (she also stocks Tamiya acrylics), although she is restricted by various agreements with wholesalers etc.

Well, I've managed to improve things a bit, and the bare metal finish is as good as it's going to get. I had thought of starting all over again, but thought that might make things worse, so cleaned the rough areas, blended in the rear canopy section, and brush-painted it around this area, using the first tin of silver, which was polished when dry. Some re-touching is needed in a few small areas, and the anti-glare panel and the black panel on the fuselage spine will need to be repainted, the latter also being too short - only noticed when checking reference photos!
The first lot of decals are on, and they needed a bit of help, and the adhesive cleaned off, as they're 28 years old, and rather thick!
To protect against cracking or dissolving once they hit the water, I gave them a coat of gloss acrylic varnish, but I don't think this was needed, as they're pretty tough - unlike the Microscale sheet I was going to use for some of the stencils and panel markings. Part of this dissolved, or became distorted when clear coated!
The kit decals have been sealed with 'Future', and will need a trim on the tail fin, and some retouching here and there, due to overlapping carrier film on the fin, the odd small flaked area, and some out of register bits.
Once all the decals are in place, they'll be toned-down a bit, as they're as shiny as a new penny at the moment!
More to follow when there's something top show.

Attachments

• F-84F Build 049.jpg
    F-84F Build 049.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 59
Great work Terry and Karl!

Wasn't able to concentrate on detail or paint work, so had a sanding/ construction session on some wheeled things:

Fuman (Bandai) 1/12 Yamaha XT250 (1983 kit)

STA52411.JPG

Heller 1:72 GMC CCKW-353

STA52412.JPG

STA52413.JPG

Heads a bit better now, so retrying the Kranich cockpit...

the 757 patchwork is done :D now on to the pitot tubes and antennas!

HPIM2678.JPG

HPIM2677.JPG

HPIM2676.JPG

HPIM2675.JPG

HPIM2674.JPG

thanks, fellas. And as you can see, the original Pitot tube had broken off. just the tube part, tho. so I had to make another one. 3 more to go!

antennas finally installed on the 757. made from scratch. What I did was, I printed out a profile of the plane and resized it in photoshop. I then cut it out and placed it against a sheet of styrene, then traced along the shape, and cut out the antennas. I'm having trouble trying to find the right size and shape of the anti-collision beacon. I just need one good, large photo from above

HPIM2680 half.jpg

HPIM2681 half.jpg

HPIM2682 half.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back