What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Again wnet through the net and found these shots... please notice the different colour of the camo spot at the fuselage side just below the cockpit that seems to be similar to the one used for patches. However the first B&W image of the post #5815 suggests two different colours. The one used for patches is undoubtedly lighter. I would say the Sky S-type/Duck Egg Blue could be or the grey that was used for RAF code letters as well.

Last edited:
The view of the AE479 undersides...

And the front view....

and two shots of a book with some info abot her.

The source of all pictures : the Internet.

More great shots. The first post must be when it was transferred to the U.S., the fuel truck and some sort of unit badge. Might also explain why the camo is now so beat up. The next post looks to me like it has fairly fresh British colors. Is the landing gear in the color photos aluminum or RLM 02?

Geo

EDIT: What a pain in the keester sketchy internet is. Half of what I wrote never showed up. I'll try again when I get into camp after work though it's not so great there either

Last edited:
If you mean these two colour pictures I think both of them were taken at the same time ( in the USA methinks - there is the "U.S Army" inscription on the oiler ) but in a little bit different moment. The same petrol tanker , the same period of a day and year, just different characters there.

As far as the landing gear is concerned... I would say silver because the colour seems to be of the metalic "hue". The RLM02 would be darker without the metal shade, IMHO.

Silver it is. So this is where I sit for the camo,. For the starboard side, the photo in Post #5779. For the port side, Posts # 5821, 5822. For the wings topside, Post #5806. Still have to figure out the colors and borders on the starboard wing and what's going on with the upper wing roundels. Going to P.G. next Thursday so I can pick up paint then . Many thanks for your help Wojtek and to Terry as well.

Geo

Only took two tries to get this typed in

Nothing to do with the site. Internet is very poor in camp and you never know when you lose it you could be typing a 3 paragraph post, the Internet goes out after the 3rd word, you hit Post Quick Reply and you get a "Please refresh your page and log on again" message. Very annoying on my end and again, not the fault of the site. It booted me again typing this

Last edited:
Back to the grind, my interpretation of the port wing. Not sure what to make of the wing tips, fresher RAF paint? However, the Dk. Earth, if that's what it is, is lighter than the Dk. Earth next to it. I'm to assume the dark areas around the wing root is heavy dirt and grime. The roundel is just a quickie, it should be a bit bigger

If anyone has thoughts or other ideas about the colors, it would be greatly appreciated. I'll work on the starboard wing over the next couple of days while I consider what's what.

Geo

EDIT: Upon reflection here, it looks like the Dk. Green curls under the gas patch and up towards the other Dk. Green.

Last edited:
Looking good Geo. However , please have a look at the two shots I played with its negative and Gama correction. It seems that the spot of the DE at the area where is the Gas Indicator was of different shape. I would say the bottom line of the spot didn't run to the flap leading edge but was changing its direction toward the wing leading edge much earlier. Also the spot of the DG at the wing front root should start much closer to the wing-fuselage transition ( at the landing gear area ) what can be noticed in the pic of the plane taken from almost front fourth.

Last edited:
Thank you kindly sir, the improvement made, without the roundel and patch. I can fudge the demarcation lines when the time comes.

Still not sure what to make of the wing tip. The darker patch looks to be the same tone as RLM70 but the lighter patch is darker than the RLM02. Perhaps these were fresher than the trailing edge colors? I just added the RAF colors there to get a feel but they don't look right. Anyhoo......off the PG to get some paint for the next GB build. With the wife on Long Term Disability from work, these trips are now weekly. I'll start on the right wing when I get home.

Last edited:
Looking much better. But it is still of incorrect shape methinks. The right edge of the DE spot should be moved more toward the wing root.. At the top of the wing the demarcation line between the DE and the DG seems to be almost a straight line. It is quite good seen there.
As far as the wing tip is concerned... the same effect can be noticed at the starboard one too. I would say it may be the origin German paint see-through the fadded RAF colour there. Unless the entire layout of colours is worked out wrongly.

Good help here. I'm thinking the wing tips would be the same as the rest of the wings. The different shades could be from the way the light is hitting the curved surface.

Thanks for the input guys, we'll leave the port wing as you say. The starboard wing.....what can I say about the starboard wing? The pattern seems to follow Airfix's paint diagram. If it's agreed that the patch on the wing tip is fresh Dk. Green, would the other colors have faded that much in the short time the RAF had the aircraft, the trailing edges even more so?

Once I get this sorted out, the fuselage is straight forward and the paint flies.

Geo

Undoubtedly the port wing tip was damaged and there can be noticed traces of its repairing. Please pay your attention to the dark spot at the undersides of the wing tip where the navigation lamp was. Also there is a lack of the light bulb.

And here the starboard wing tip with the light bulb seen. However the darker spot at the leading edge next to the wing tip can be a result of showing through the darker colour of previous one. But it could be because of indent of plate there too.

But the shot doesn't seem to confirm the depression there...

Users who are viewing this thread