What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking at other builds of the P-40E in China, it could be that the teeth should have been placed a little further back towards the wing joint.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/922/CXrcd0.jpgoh yes indeed, the decal provided is not long enough, that last red tooth on the bottom that is folded over into the intakes is the end of the decal. all builds I could find from other guys had the same problem as the link above shows. maybe the real plane looked like the trumpeter H81-A I built ? after market decals might work better. I will settle for what I have

Looking forward to the results. Let me know if you need assistance. If you want to keep using your phone I can help you there as well
my post graphics are a problem, what camera do you suggest? my models are pretty good, my photography sucks I used to be very good with a 35mm high end camera. Getting old requires adjustment if I want to be relevant.

If you're looking just to take pictures of models and some basic photographs I have one of these. You can get in close too
For editing I use two, irfan view for deciding which pictures I want to keep and paint.net for editing the final pictures. Others use Photoshop but I'm cheap and the ones I use are free to download. Irfan view can be used for editing as well but for me, I like it because it's fast to scroll through your pictures and delete 20 sketchy ones in less than five minutes

Going a new camera route? You want to remove clutter so go to the dollar store and get some poster board, any where from $.99 to $1.99. It's all the same. I'll show you colours shortly. The sheets come in 2x3 foot size but I've seen smaller. For detail shots, cut an 18" x 18". This is my setup for details. I'm using my big Canon and tripod and taking the photos with the camera in the link

For finished models I bought a Photo Booth but not necessary

Note that I'm using a powder blue poster board. The colour of the board will affect your photos. I have four colours but only used three

I hope this helps

Good stuff Geo.

I used to use my wife's camera, but got sick of recharging the batteries when I needed it. Now I just use my dad's old smartphone (Samsung Galaxy), which actually takes alot clearer pictures!
(Lighting comes from an ordinary flexible Table lamp)

I have a Sanyo VPC-T850 I inherited, not familiar with it, looks similar to your camera, I will compare features and see what it will suffice.

Last edited:
thank you, this helps a lot.

thanks so much for the information, I have an old Canon AE1 that I used back in the late 70s while serving in the 6th fleet. I am going to have it repaired,

Here are two pics of the AVG Hawk 81 "white 38" I found via the net.

the source: Curtiss Hawk 81A AVG 23FG2PS White 36 P-8123 Edward Rector Burma 1942

PS. I have found that the 'White 38" was flown by Henry Geselbracht and should have the CAF number P-8177, MFG 15940, RAF AM487. The CAF number P-8138, MFG 15834, RAF AM381 was the "White 57" according the roster accessed with the link below.

the info source: Flying Tigers: Curtiss H81-A3 aircraft

Additionally , there is a profile of the "White 38" both in the Combat Colours no.3 and Warpaint no.77. Both are with the panda and panther emblems but of the different camo scheme and the layout of the shark jaws. Anyway the shark jaws are extended to the area below the last exhaust pipe like in the two images above. The CC book doesn't provided the CAF number and the Warpaint one says it was P-8200. IMHO it is not correct because there is also a profile of the "White 36" that has the same CAF number. As mamo serves there wasn't a such number for the Chinese Hawk 81As. What is more the CC publication stated the pilot was Franklin Schwartz but not Henry Geselbracht.

Wow, you found it, I looked for hours for 'white 38" so my model shark jaw gobbler is inaccurate. unfortunately, there's no correcting my model now, generic decals are probably no improvement. could I have positioned the decal differently? it seems to be too short, the nose end looks good as the teeth are under the engine enclosure but the bottom stripe sucks. any accurate kits available? thanks so much.

Users who are viewing this thread