Whats on your wrist?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have a Rolex "Oyster perpetual date" that I bought in Dubrovnik, Yugo. in 1967. I only paid $125.00 (us) for it, and it's not a counterfeit because it's been serviced by Rolex twice. I still have the wooden box that it came in, and all the paperwork. It's my most prized possession....

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_1936.JPG
    DSC_1936.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
I don't spend a lot of money on watches because I seem to wreck every one I get.
Right now I've got a cheapo casio solar powered thingy. Like this...

casio.jpg

But i just bought a Russian watch of ebay for 50 quid!

KGrHqFh8E5cho0EiBBOffFwkCg60_3.gif

A few years ago, after decades of use, I gave up on automatic chronometers. Their expensive maintenance requirements are not worth the annoying 2 minute a month loss/gain range. I started to wear less expensive quartz watches but after several going belly up with busted faces and bands. I decided to invest in a tough thermo-compensated HEQ. I now wear a Breitling Colt. It is accurate to 1 second a month, goes 8 years on a battery, maintenance costs are low, and is about as tough and dependable as a wrist watch can be made. It is also good looking. So far it has been a good investment. Automatic chronometers may be beautiful marvels of mechanical engineering but HEQs are in my opinion just as beautiful and have the benefit of electronic accuracy.

I stopped wearing a watch years ago. The pocket watch is nice. I do have a grandfather clock. I picked it up while stationed in Europe.

DBII

Max,

I've read a lot about Suunto watches and understand that many countries special forces wear them. I fear my Luminox will have to die before my wife lets me buy a Suunto. That looks very nice though.

Yes, I believe Suunto supply various special forces with their watches - I know the British SAS use them as I once spent an evening in the company of a few of those jolly lads in a pub not far from where they do their training. Being on the wrong side of 49 no one would have mistaken me for a member of that elite band!

I do a fair bit of trekking and hill walking though so the Suunto is an ideal companion on those journeys. Very robust, it weighs next to nothing - in fact the instruction manual weighs more than the watch! It is, I admit, not the most attractive looking timepiece, but I'm prepared to forego the aesthetic qualities for something that actually holds together.

There's certainly nothing wrong with Luminox, yet another great name in military/outdoor watches. Built like a Tiger I they could withstand virtually anything you could throw at them.

I don't know how much the price of the Suunto Core is in the USA, but I paid about £180 here in the UK - something like $280 at the present exchange rate. For once money well spent!

I have always been a big watch fan, and usually have had a very nice one on my wrist. Sadly, my work has a blanket ban on watches being worn on site, other than some crappy £1 plastic jobs that they sell to us, and I have simply gotten out of the habit of wearing one at all (I'd be the muppet walking with security having forgotten to take it off, otherwise). The ban is because we distribute a wide range of fashion watches. My girlfriend has just bought me a French Connection watch, fairly cheap but a nice looking piece of kit. I've yet to wear the thing :(

What I would like to put on my wrist, however, is one of these:

Watch Details for Red Arrows Skyhawk A-T | Citizen Eco-Drive

Saw one a few months back and have been deeply in love with it ever since...

Those Red Arrows watches are cool! Of the 6 available, the one you posted BT is my favourite, and wouldn't you know, the most expensive!

my cat's paw and head. he likes to lay on my lap with his chin and paw resting on my wrist. bless his little heart <3

Hi copcheck, nice selection of watches there. I also have the Citizen Titanium Solar-Tech 180 (WR200) and just a note, it is actually an Eco Drive. It is printed on the back cover. I have had mine for 14 yrs now and still going strong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back