Whats your favorite aircraft from WWI??

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Attachments

• SE_5a-RAF-built in Canadian.jpg
    SE_5a-RAF-built in Canadian.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 296
  • D.V11.jpg
    D.V11.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 181
Welcome to Landships! - A site for WW1 Military Hardware WW1 Military Modelling
I suspect German and French artillery spotting balloons contributed more towards the overall war effort then all heavier than air aircraft put together.
drachen%20(5)[1].jpg

Artillery typically caused 55 to 75% of WWI battle casualties. Artillery forward observers located in captive balloons are a large part of the reason why field artillery was king of the WWI battlefield.

Albatros D.V - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The D.V entered service in May 1917 and, like the D.III before it, immediately began experiencing structural failures of the lower wing.[4] Indeed, anecdotal evidence suggests that the D.V was even more prone to wing failures than the D.III. The outboard sections of the upper wing also suffered failures, requiring additional wire bracing.[4] Furthermore, the D.V offered very little improvement in performance.[3] This caused considerable dismay among frontline pilots, many of whom preferred the older D.III. Manfred von Richthofen was particularly critical of the new aircraft. In a July 1917 letter, he described the D.V as "so obsolete and so ridiculously inferior to the English that one can't do anything with this aircraft." British tests of a captured D.V revealed that the aircraft was slow to maneuver, heavy on the controls, and tiring to fly.

Looking sleek is no guarantee of good performance. Otherwise the WWI era Albatros and WWII era P-39 would have been world beaters. 8)

The Austrians built the Albatross DV also, but made a few changes in the wing structure, and didn't have the folding wing problem. They also left off the large spinner, and the aircraft was a few mph faster.
You can't look at a Albatross and see why it was so slow in comparision with some other ac of the same era, with equal power. I wonder if everbodies way of rating power was really equal.

For me, The Gotha G.IV BTW The Wingnut Wings 1/32 version is absolutly outstanding. Have one in the stash,but I need a hell of a lot more builds before I tackle that one

Attachments

• IMG_1729.jpg
    IMG_1729.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 148
Well for me, now, it's the F2.b since I have found a Davidson, RFC, who flew them in WWI and received the Military Cross and was a 6 victory ace. The long off GB WWI project will be his plane.

...would have allowed for some very neat monoplane fighter designs to be adopted.
The trend was towards the monoplane selected by the airforce for the main fighter 1919.

Selected by the previous competition was the Fokker E-V, which is well known:

however, most manufacturers submitted only monoplane designs by late 1918 for fighter A/C:
Fairly unknown is this one, a Daimler L11. We don´t know much details about this plane´s performance.

Fokker submitted four monoplane fighters, here the V21:

Dornier was working on a monoplane successor of the Do-D, which later became the Do-H:

The Junkers DI has been mentioned above, but this Eindecker from LFG Roland is possibly less well known:

The Pfalz Werke also worked on an improved Eindecker model, a successor to the D-X from the previous competition:

Siemens-Schuckert had a potential winner, the SSW-DVI, to come with a hardpoint for external loads (a drop tank like in Dornier´s proposal):

Plenty of monoplanes in the competition...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back