Whats your favorite aircraft from WWI??

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here are some other WW1 Fighters. By the way the previous SE5a was a stunning shot.
Of these aircraft, the SE5a, Pup, Bristol and Avro 504 are original planes built between 1916 and 1918.
The Triplane is a little less clear cut. It was built in 1990 but to the original plans, materials and techniques and is powered by an original 1916 130hp Clerget engine. It has been awarded the status of a 'late production' aircraft but I will let you decide amongst yourselves as to how to view it.

Attachments

• avro_504__triplane__pup_145.jpg
    avro_504__triplane__pup_145.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 283
  • sopwith_pup_1_160.jpg
    sopwith_pup_1_160.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 319
  • sopwith_pup_2_169.jpg
    sopwith_pup_2_169.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 324
  • sopwith_triplane_686.jpg
    sopwith_triplane_686.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 308
  • se5a_398.jpg
    se5a_398.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 321
For me its the German Albatros D II, which I prefer over later marks (D III and D V) because these had serious problems with wings. I always thought about Albatros fighters as a some sort of WW1 version of Messerchmitt Bf 109.

Last edited:
That's my favorite fighter.

Nice siggy! Say, when the shirts get made, are people going to stop us and ask,"Hey, you know Dave????" :lol:
It was interesting to see how the fortunes of the airwar over the trenches shifted back and forth as much as it did in such a short time. Contrary to popular belief, the DR1 wasn't as good as the D.VII, which was a real equalizer, and probably one of the best machines to come out of the war.

And if anyone asks you if you know Dave, check to see who's asking! :evil4:

Well my personal favorite ones are Fokker D. VII and Albatros D-3. I just love Albatros D-3, it was agile and armed with two Spandau machine guns.

Attachments

• Image03.jpg65457125-d2c4-43c2-94bd-f3922861feb8Large.jpg
    Image03.jpg65457125-d2c4-43c2-94bd-f3922861feb8Large.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 178
Dear Fellow WW I Av-Fans:

The PIPE here, a regular denizen of TheAerodrome.com, which is to WW I aviation what THIS forum is to the conflagration of a war "that former Austrian-born lance corporal in WW I"...among others...started almost a generation later.

I am a HUUUGE fan of WW I aviation, and for starters, to Sergio Vitalio, PLEASE check out the photos at Luftfahrt Fotostrecken auf Biplanes.de - Die Oldtimer Community in Deutschland ...I shot most of these photos in September 2002 for my German Email buddy Jens Klank (the Webmaster of Biplanes.de - Die Oldtimer Community in Deutschland) , and if YOU thought you were an AVRO 504 fan, just ask Jens some time how much HE loooves it...!!!

There are a WHOLE LOT of WW I aircraft, from BOTH sides (Allied and CENTRAL-NOT "Axis"-Powers) that I like a whole lot...for the Allies, there's the (in chronological order)...

R.A.F. (Royal Aircraft FACTORY!) B.E.2c and earlier
Bristol Scout C
Avro 504
R.A.F. F.E. 8 pusher fighter
Sopwith "Flying Zoo" (Camel, Pup, and ESPECIALLY the Sopwith Dolphin)
Bréguet XIV
R.A.F. S.E. 5a
Ansaldo SVA 5 (fastest single seater of them all [EITHER side!] in WW I)
SPAD XIII

And for the Central Powers, there's the (again in chronological order)...

D.F.W. B I "Fliegende Banane"
Fokker M.5K/MG Eindecker prototypes (five produced)
Junkers J 1 "Blechesel" pioneering all-metal aircraft (monoplane) of late 1915
Halberstadt D II
Albatros D Va
Fokker Dr I (of course!)
Fokker D VII
Siemens-Schuckert D IV
...and my ABSOLUTE favorite OF ALL, the JUNKERS D I !!!

The Bristol Scout series, for which I wrote the English language Wikipedia entry, dates to before Archduke Franz Ferdinand was shot in Sarajevo, precipitating WW I in the first place...I also wrote the Junkers J 1 "Blechesel" Wiki entry, and plan to write MANY more of these in the future...OR at least get more of my facts together and add to what's already there !

My FIRST RC Giant Scale WW I aircraft is intended to be the Bristol Scout C...as I've been UNemeployed for a bit over a year now from my CAD drafting career, who KNOWS when I'd be able to even start to bring any of my CAD-drawn WW I RC Giants "off the drafting screen" and onto a building board for the creation of a quarter-scale verison of them.

It's also MUCH EASIER for someone like me, who ONLY likes flying SLOW RC model aircraft (easier to "keep up" with them, and ENJOY the flight experience!) to build WW I RC scale model aircraft...anyone who's been to Old Rhinebeck in the past, and seen how SHORT a takeoff run those "flying tall ships" of aircraft have, AND how slowly they fly, would appreciate seeing RC Giant Scale (usually 1/4th size, and increasingly even larger scale ratios) WW I model aircraft doing their thing at a local RC field near you.

I'm just making my statements based on my RC scale aeromodeling interests, and what I'd like to build and fly for WW I aircraft "in miniature" by radio control, using four stroke engines.

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!

Last edited:
Halberstadt CL-II

Attachments

• FWWhalber.jpg
    FWWhalber.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 149

Users who are viewing this thread

Back