When did you first become interested in Warbirds?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

When I was a kid during WWII they used to sell this flavored wax as replacement chewing gum [it turned to crumbs after a couple of minutes of chewing]. Each pack had a photo or drawing of the various WWII aircraft. I got to walk through a Lancaster in a dark hanger which was very exciting. Then I saw a Mosquito doing high speed passes over a lake in Regina and blowing up spray!
That plane crashed in Calgary killing the crew. Then came Air Cadets and flights in various aircraft.:D

I grew up around it. My dad was a Naval Aviator. He was at Coral Sea, Midway and Guadalcanal (VCS-6, SOC's fron New Orleans). During `44 he was a pilot flying PV-1s (VB-144) out of Tarawa. During the 1950's he flew
P2Vs and other large aircraft. He retired in 62.

I remember his aviator friends and their stories. Their names and deeds are still ingrained into my memory.

My dad also taught me to fly and I still work in aviation management. The love of old aircraft hasn't left after 55 years.

My interest developed in 1951 when I finished my tech training in the RAF and was posted to 617 Squadron at RAF Binbrook. At that time they were flying the Avro Lincoln, the Lancasters big brother, fifteen feet more wing and bigger Merlins. They were fair to work on except for a battery change. Four 12volt 40ah batteries connected series parallel to give 24v at 80ah. They were situated in front of the main spar and after disconnecting, had to be moved one at a time, over the main spar, over the secondary spar, slide under the mid upper turret, down a two foot step (end of bomb bay) Then past flare chutes and flare racks to the rear entrance, then a six foot ladder to ground level. The same had to be done in reverse with new batteries! We had one electrician who was a gorilla of a man, each battery had a long webbing strap and he used to hang all four batteries round his neck and do it in one!!! Nobody on the sqaudron argued with that man. I think, even the CO kept clear of him!!

Ken

Easy to explain. A kid, living in London, is told war is coming, his Dad is in the RAF, ergo, he's a pilot. He wasn't, he was a airframe mechanic, by the time I found out it was too late, I was hooked.
Yes, I was evacuated, nothing happened, so they brought me back..........

I always liked planes, when i was little and i saw one flying i loved
then, when i was about 14 years old, a collection of warbirds of the second world war started i decided in a glimpse to do it
from that base i developed my taste for the war in general
and that's how i've started my taste for warbirds

My grandfather took me to my first airshow when i was about 2, and my father was a aviation crewman of sorts in the army. Been hooked ever since.

when i was 12/13 years old, there was a collection of magazines called "top gun", with profiles, pictures histories, posters and configs about the wwII and modern planes.

i became a great fan of the jugs, mustangs, gustavs, doras, spitfires, yaks, etc...

As a kid I used to watch planes fly into Logan in Boston, and now and then my Dad would take me by the airport. I loved seeing the sparkling F-86, neatly parked in a row.
Then around 10y/o I bought a copy of GOD IS MY CO-PILOT by Col. Robert L. Scott. That did it, I started making models, was aircrew in the Marine Corps.....never out-grew it!

As a Generation Xer, I wasn't much interested in planes until My dad and uncles were watching a documentary about the Ploiesti raids in the room I was trying to do something else in, about age 11 or 12. I glanced up just in time to see a closeup shot of a squadron of P-38's peeling off to divebomb the refinery. As the first plane banked toward the camera, the sun glinted off its wings, and the incredible symmetry and novelty of the Lightning's airframe shape instantly snapped my attention and I instantly said inside, "Oy! They made a plane that looked like that? You mean, not all planes are just variations of the same old theme?" And I hated to admit it, even to myself, but I had just fallen in love with aircraft. Being already somewhat familiar with the history of the war, I became within one year a "teenage encyclopedia of World War II aviation." I could still give you approximate top speed and armament figures for practically any WWII warplane, common or obscure, off the top of my head to this day. For most of them, I remember even more details, like service ceiling, bomb load, number produced, and approximate wingspan.

When i was a kid, my dad build Japanese WWII Ships in Scale 1/700, and i loved those tiny Airplanes. From this moment on, i gathered all about WWII-A/Cs, but especially about Japanese Navy and Army Airplanes. Later, i worked together with a man which grandpa was a great ace in the Luftwaffe (Adolf Dickfeld, 132 Victories).
Now, i`ve got a 14 year old son and infected him with this virus, too. But he loves more the Luftwaffe A/Cs, because there are much more cooler as the Japanese, American and British planes :)

History channel - Dogfights Episodes made me like the WarBirds.
I don't know why, but it's really interesting

A grandfather of mine worked on Corsairs in the Marine Corps pacific theater so that must have sparked my interest.I also remember having a book or two about Spitfires when I was a small boy.

I built dozens of war birds as a kid in the 1950's and early 60's and hung them from my bedroom ceiling. P40 was my favorite (loved the shark teeth). Those memories had alot to do with my volunteering to fly the T-28 instead of the turbo prop T-34 in Naval flight school. There is just something about walking "under" the wing on pre-flight and then watching the smoke belch on start up on those 9 jugs!

I became interested because I grew up in the 60's with all those WWII movies going on and great plastic models:) .Then my father served in the Army Air Corps on a B17 as a radio operator.The best that I could determine was that he belonged to the 92nd BG/325sq that basically that went OTU once they hit England.

This......but this is when I was younger a lot younger

Attachments

• 100_0875.jpg
    100_0875.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 100_0871.jpg
    100_0871.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 63
since i am brand new here on this site ( just a couple of hrs old ) i thought i would write a few words here..i grew up with my father as a F-86F pilot and then a pilot in SAS Airline.. so i kinda learned to walk with Aircrafts but what really kickstarted it was when i saw the tv series "well meet again " in the 70`s and since then my dream was to fly a B-17 ( which i finally got to do back in 2006 when i helped with the final restoration of Liberty Belle in Douglas/Georgia and then took part in the ferryflight to new Orleans..a dream come true )

Attachments

• all set.JPG
    all set.JPG
    256 KB · Views: 49
  • flying the B 17.JPG
    flying the B 17.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 58

Users who are viewing this thread

Back