which aircraft thrilled you the most to see flying (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Off the top of my head

(The majority of these I've seen at the tora tora airshows here on campus)
Corsair
Mustang
Warhawk
Aircobra
Wildcat
Zero
Val
B-25
B-17
F-16 15
A-20 (I think)

C-5
Air Force One
I see these everytime the president comes here. It's something to see these take off- especially when you're at the end of the runway!

I see C-5s, C-17s, and DC-10s all the time. I went to Oshkosh (100 years of flight) and saw lots of war birds there. At a local parade a 3 tears ago that I saw at was buzzed by B-24 and a B-17 in close (and low) formation.
They had a C-5 buzz the baseball field for the opening pitch. Bad Idea. only months after 9/11, everyone thought it was going to crash.

To be honest I could not pick one. Any and all aircraft of WWII. To see them flying or in person 60 plus depending on aircraft's inception during WWII. I don't care if it was a At-6 to the Grumman duck to a B-17. To be still flying is an accomplishment and a labor of love, awe and inspiration to see them still flying and to command respect no matter what country they flew with. They are a part of history that can never be replaced. I salute them all and those that maintain them :salute:

difficult question. The sound I heard the most as an air force Brat was the drone of a B-36. When we moved off base to Pentagon duty I could not sleep for a year - and I eventually realized it was too quiet and I didn't hear the drone.

Next in line would be three of equal importance - the F-86, the P-51 and the F-105.. Now I realize I truly love the 'Hog also.

The Spit also has a special reserve

I had to give this some thought and because of actually seeing the first two built, it would have to be the F-117A...

The SR-71 also gave me chills the first time I saw one flying overhead.

For me.

Saw a Spitfire flyby at Kyalami.
Buccaneer which was awsome in lowlevel flight
photo_saaf_17.jpg

Tante Ju which I flew in!!!
saa_ju52_zs-afa_3.jpg

edd

Probably Hudson and Boomerang, them being the only ones flying in the world. Seen the Boomer twice (or three times if getting up close in its hangar counts) and the Hudson this year which was awesome.

My first true airshow I saw an Aussie Built Mustang which was amazing. Several high speed low passes...

The next airshow was better again 7 Mustangs US and CAC built plus the all mighty Spitfire and Boomerang.

However like Micdrow I don't mind they are fascinating to me. Every time I hear a rumble of a radial or roar of a merlin im outside like a flash.

I live 10mins from where a Mustang and several other warbirds live :)

Anything with a Merlin rocks my jocks! I absolutely love seeing Spitfires I think it defines a ww2 fighter. Class, sound, looks, sybolism of a nations struggle!

I also loving seeing any 4 engine heavy!

i also saw a b 52 flypast at sunderland airshow a few years ago that was impressive but after some thought i loved seeing the vulcan go through its paces as a kid, so big, noisey and amazingly agile

Attachments

• vulcanb2xl426abingdonopenday1988.jpg
    vulcanb2xl426abingdonopenday1988.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 126
Geez, too many to really find an absolute favorite for me. I saw the final landing of the XB-70 at Wright Patterson as a youngster and that hooked me on aviation forever.

When I was in Europe, the Vulcan, Lightning (EE, not P-38), Stringbag, Spitfire and Hurricane were all great. The Lancaster was really something to see.

In the last few years, the F-22 Raptor has been a real treat to see. For classics over the last couple of years I would have to highlight the P-26 Peashooter in the air with a P-35 Guardian, 2 Zeros in formation, 4 Corsairs in formation, 3 P-38s in formation, Zero and Hellcat tailchase and formation pass are a few.

My biggest thrills in the cockpit were flying a Marchetti in aerial combat against an Extra 300 and finally getting a photo shoot with T-28s from another T-28.

I don't think anything will get the blood rushing like the sound of a B-17
going down the active. I seen lots of warbirds take off and land, and
I've flown in quite a few of them.

However, the greatest thing I think I ever saw was a Martin P6M taxi out
and take off. Not a lot of noise, but very graceful as it lifted off the water.
It's a shame the project was cancelled.

Back in 1955 my bride worked in "scheduling" at Glenn L. Martin on the P6M
project.

Charles

Attachments

• p6m-2.jpg
    p6m-2.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 122
Sound breaker I live in Jeffco down by c470,Wads and Kipling area. Seems like i'm on the flight path of some interesting stuff. Think it was Memorial day and a flight of F-16s in a fingers 4 formation flew over real low on the way to a Rockies game, was way cool. When I lived up near Conifer a few years ago I was having a beer on my deck when a Skyraider came thru the valley at a fairly low level, that was awesome. Apparently the pilot does pyro shows on the 4th of July.

To be honest I could not pick one. Any and all aircraft of WWII. To see them flying or in person 60 plus depending on aircraft's inception during WWII. I don't care if it was a At-6 to the Grumman duck to a B-17. To be still flying is an accomplishment and a labor of love, awe and inspiration to see them still flying and to command respect no matter what country they flew with. They are a part of history that can never be replaced. I salute them all and those that maintain them :salute:

well said! 8)

I saw the second space shuttle mission touch down at edwards... I remember it as clear as a bell.

Many to choose from:

Standing on the end of the runway when the B-29 FiFi flew directly overhead.

Watching an F-14 take off using a fraction of the runway, circle and go vertical over the center of the field, rolling until he disappeared in the clouds.

Watching Harrier Jets, DH Vampire, the Concorde and straffing runs at Oshkosh Air Shows.

A Vulcan on it's final flight.

The Memphis Belle.

Tornadoes hauling tail low over the water off the coast of England.

A T-33 going though it's paces.

I can mention more, (even a Blackburn Beverly and WWI aircraft), but, as you can imagine, it's an on-going thing.

Like Micdrow, any and all...

But my favorites have been;

The P-40 that I saw at Reading in 2002 and again this year. It was first "favorite" plane and it sent chills!

The P-51 a few years ago that "dove" on the airfield - the whine it produced was short-hair raising!

The B-17 at Reading this year...never saw one in the air and it was beautiful.

But Eric had a great idea. In addition to seeing one, what was the best ride one took? (didn't mean to hijack the thread.)

A few years ago I took my son to a Church fair where they were giving rides in bush aircraft from ministries in South America. Got to ride in one - can't remember the name of the plane but it was featured in "Air America" that landed on a mountain. Shortest take-off I was ever in. Hand cranking the flaps!

Blue Angels, every time. Backyard. F9F, F11F, F4U, A-4, F-18.
F8F. Navy airshow, Pensacola
P-51. Navy airshow, Pensacola
Navy Blimp. NAS Pensacola
PBY w/JATO. Navy airshow, Pensacola
T-38. Every time I climbed into the cockpit
C-141. Especially after I was out of the service
SR-71. On takeoff out of Kadena, Okinawa: Full burner pass over the field at Pt. Magu
B-17 and B-24. Flying formation over my house enroute to Torrance
Do-24. Flying by my house enroute to San Pedro. Like stepping back into time.
B-2. Palmdale. Low pass down the runway followed by right break over the crowd. Everyone there was stunned. Most emotional I have ever been seeing an aircraft fly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back