Which is your favourite twoseater (school) jet?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
This is definitely one of mine! The SK 35 C version of Draken......

Attachments

• DSC_0107.jpg
    DSC_0107.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 211
Folland Gnat. First and always, ever since the Red Arrows flew straight over my head at my first airshow (Woodford) when I was six. It's an aircraft you strap on rather than climb into but I've always loved its diminutive lines. A true classic!

L29 for me - an aircraft that I "met" by fate and it has changed my life for ever

Attachments

• L-29.jpg
    L-29.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
The only one i've ever been in, a T-37.

Actually it was a A-37, but that's close. On a maintenance check flight, and he let me have the controls for maybe a minute.

Other than a jet airliner, that's the fastest i've ever been in the air.

No one particular favourite, but love the BAC Strikemaster, Aermacchi MB-338CB, and BAe Hawk trainers for modern trainers. WW II, why the Me 262B-1a/U2 of course...:)

Last edited:
Between that A-37 and a C-141, the only two military jets i've ever been in.

The USAF Capt., I was a Army E-5, gave me about a 5 min. class in oxygen mask and ejection seat use, and off we flew. About 20 minutes. Never got over 15,000 ft or 300 kts. But it was one of those flights I still remember well.

FLYBOYJ, that's a real smart looking L-29 you have there; you look as pleased as punch.

Gotta say though, a two-seat Draken would be an awesome toy. A bit thirsty, I think.

A4K, what about a TA-4K? There's still a handful at Woodbourne awaiting disposal...

Copy of NZ6251 iii.jpg

:)

FLYBOYJ, that's a real smart looking L-29 you have there; you look as pleased as punch.

Thanks! That belonged to a family friend - got to maintain and fly it for a while. Had about 30 hours in it. I was hoping to get my L29 type rating but due to a family tragedy, that all changed. I still get to fly in them once and a while, great simple jet to train and fly in.

A4K, what about a TA-4K? There's still a handful at Woodbourne awaiting disposal...

Beautiful shot mate, thanks! Yep, do love the TA-4K aswell, though only in the final paint scheme, as pictured. (The straight A-4 looks beautiful in ANY scheme!!! :) )

Btw, will be doing a 1:32 TA-4K for the Feb 2012 'Your favourite aircraft' Group Build - your pic will come in handy, thanks!

Dornier Alpha Jet, I use to get mad at them making attack runs at my platoon during REFORGER.

DBII

MiG-25PU conversion trainer. I'd wear the engines out in a year but that's okay, probably be in prison for mach-ing around everywhere by then.

Beautiful shot mate, thanks! Yep, do love the TA-4K aswell, though only in the final paint scheme, as pictured. (The straight A-4 looks beautiful in ANY scheme!!! :) )

Btw, will be doing a 1:32 TA-4K for the Feb 2012 'Your favourite aircraft' Group Build - your pic will come in handy, thanks!

No worries. When I was at WB I managed to reel off a few images, although if I had been caught I'm sure I would have gotten a scalping. Let me know if you need any views from different angles and I'll post them.

I would look at this thread in two segments - those trainers that were developed from fighters and those designed as trainers from the ground up

surprised no-one has mentioned the Macchi series as yet. I dont have a favourite, but I always thought the mascchis were good at what they were designed for.

The hawk fighters trainers are also worth a mention I think

can't overlook the T33 has there been a longer serving alternative? plus she has great lines , but I'm biased after working with them and seeing them for much of my life

Users who are viewing this thread

Back