Which side would you fly for?....... (1 Viewer)

Which side would you fly for?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Gemhorse said:
When you refer to ' Britain', you should include ' the Commonwealth '. -The contribution made by these Men of different Nations was profound , and the American ' Eagle ' Sqn. was really a tradition started in WWI , some of which I read about in 74 ' Tiger ' Sqn.'s history, which spanned both War's.- Plus the Czech , Polish , Dutch etc. Sqn.'s, ALL of who were in there ' mixing-it ' early-on , in the BoB....

Sorry - you're right :oops: - I'd like to thank the Commenwealth pilots too - the Canadians, Aussies, Kiwis and the European pilots too: Poles, Czechs, Dutch, French ( :lol: ) Belgian, Finns, Norweigens - sorry if i missed anyone out (i'm sure I did :oops: )

I still think we would've won it without them though :rolleyes:

Germans...I for one am still a little confused about your heritage...are you a Dutch-Brazilian living in the USA? ;)

where were you born?

A taste for crap then...just joking...wait, no I'm not.... :lol:

I wanted to thank Vigilante, for that great letter and the reply from the Brits. We are all here to talk and I hope learn a little more. The war was won with the blood of the fighting men and the sarafice of the people at home. I think that is at times forgotten.

As for national pride, yes we all have it.

I agree with The quote that America, is a lawer-breading nation that infact has more then engineers and can come up with a way to try and blame a hamberger for making people fat. well I digress. With out the help of all and the great sacrafice of the Eastern front it might have all been lost. I am not sure how long the Brits could have held out, all alone. But I am shure they would have intill the last man and woman. Hell the Queen never left!! I bet she would have stayed even underocupation :shock:
Or maybe SAS would have sent her to Canada, that is a what if! :oops:

1942 they were formed and not that elite?
They did some really amazing things in the desert, and later on. June 1942, a SAS group was involved in landing on the shore of France and dismantle a Radar bringing it back to Britian (Operation Biting). They were a very good unit, and very well motivated.

Driving onto an airfield with 8 Jeeps and shooting up the planes with .30 cals, then planting bombs on them or smashing them up seems like something elite to me.

The Marines and Commandos are a lot older (Yes I know the Marines are the Commandos but they weren't always) just the SAS was formed in 1942.

I know we have talked about this in another topic, but in regards to this bit of what side to fly on I ask: if you were shot down in the airspace of the oposite side who would that be?

For me it would have to be the anything other then an USAAF airman in the pacific. After the Dolittle raid the Japs were not that happy, and latter after the B-29s started bombing Japan things just got worse. But the Japs treatment of POWs was just plain bad. :(

I'd fly for the allies because they have a great selection of good aircraft. Most of the aircraft in that category that I would like to fly depends on the country. For example:
US:
F4U Corsair
P-38 Lightning
P-51 Mustang
F4F Wildcat
P-47 Thunderbolt
Britain:
Spitfire
Hurricane
Typhoon

And you missed the Mosquito off the British list because?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back