It is absurd for anyone to say that America had anything to do with the great British victory in the Battle of Britain. That was yours and yours alone. I admire the courage and determination that Britain showed against seemingly hopeless odds, and I believe wholeheartedly that Britain single-handedly saved civilization in 1940. You were absolutely right about this, and the earlier poster who claimed otherwise was justly shown to have been misinformed, bigoted, or both.
You right to be proud of your country, Bronzewhaler - it is one of the greatest nations that has ever existed on this earth. And I can understand your irritation when foolish people make disparaging remarks about Britain, or fail to recognize its great achievements.
But I'm proud of my country, too, and I know hatred when I hear it expressed. Although you now claim that you were merely responding to a point regarding American involvement in the Battle of Britain, that is quite simply untrue. Your original statement that "America did little during the war to earn my respect" is much too far-sweeping for that, and directly contradicts your current claim that you "wouldn't say the Americans didn't have an important part in the war...just not as far as military assistance during the B of B."
You justify your disrespect for my country's role in the war by citing your passionate love of your own homeland, while at the same time advising me to "lighten up a bit mate and stop taking your country so very seriously." This is so patently inconsistent that it is laughable. We either can be ardent and serious or we can "lighten up," but elementary fairness requires that the same standards should apply to us both.
Finally, although you may not believe it, I am one of those "Americans on this site that are keen to learn." I have been a student of military history for almost fifty years, and I do not expect greatly to add to a lifetime accumulation of knowledge by reading casual posts on this website. Nevertheless, I am extremely interested in what life is like for people in countries other than my own, and in their hopes, dreams, beliefs, and aspirations. That is what I came here to learn about, while incidently discussing matters of common interest regarding aviation history. My sense is that you, Bronzewhaler, come not to learn but to verbally joust with others so as to display your prowess in the art of argument. Fortunately, unlike yourself, I have the ability to distinguish between a countryman and his country, and your childish disparagement of my country does nothing to diminish my profound respect for your own.