Which was the best night fighter? (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

the Bf 110G-4 yes still did serve a purpose and Stab, II-IV./NJG 1 used the unit till wars end. Schnaufer was given the chance several times to used the Ju 88G-6 while in Stab./NJG 4 as the unit was equipped with the Junkers. Schnaufer carried over his 110G though and admitted not freely that he was afraid of the larger Ju a/c

I will admit as others here that the Uhu does have a mean look about it

but still think the Ju 88G-6 had a look as well

Was just about to mention the 110G, there is a good book around on Schnaufer, do plan to get it at some stage, looks like a very good read, what was his total no. of victories? Certainly in the hundreds I recall.
Under the cover of darkness, even a bad dogfighter can look good. :rolleyes:

Les we just may have a young one that is padding his count ......... a big no-no. The P-61 may have been the best all around for the US but that depends on what US nf crews you interview as some flew the Mossie and the Beau in the Med

I edited your post since you are still padding it.

Luftwaffe Me 262A-1a, Ju 88G-6

RAF 100th group Mossie XIX, XXX

US ........ nada a big fat 0. the P-61 in my book does not even stand a chance not the A-20 although made a nice low level night harassment bomber in 44-45

Soviets, never had any except in their own minds

Gotta agree with Erich. The best night fighters were the Mossie and then the Ju-88. I could post many reasons but so many other people here have allready done it.

Lt. whoever the hell you are (14 year old kid, prettending ot be an officer in the military which is a disrespect to me and all the other people who have served or are serving), you really pissed some people off in the other thread.

All I can say is dont run off, dont quit, but learn... Get with P38 Pilot, he can talk to you.

I think those before me have listed the difinative machines. Its interesting though that even the lowly Bf110 was a blight on bomber command when coupled with an imaginative tactic. Like the one (Forgive me for not remembering its name.) that fighters loitered in 3D spaces, along anticipated RAF paths. Then vectored to targets as command I.D.ed the bomber streams crossing the channel. Its stuff lke this that makes the subject so fassinating. Also like P 61.s, P38.s were masters in the P.T.O. and treated harshly by
their rivals in Europe, at least while the Luftwaffe could put trained airmen up to counter them.

the technique of circling or flying in pre-scribed boxes using ground control was early war through the Tame Boar period it was then led for twin engines to fly in a course towards the bombers usually on the flight out from the target with each crew taking on whatever it could "see" or pick up on radar and Naxos.

single engine 109G's would fly individually on take-off hardly ever seeing anyone in their staffel, following burning fires on the ground and searchlight patterns. Few were equipped with radar but this was just something else the pilot had to take care of while flying so more of a hindrance than something of benefit

Also like P 61.s, P38.s were masters in the P.T.O. and treated harshly by
their rivals in Europe

I'd hardly call the P-38M a masterful night fighter in the pacific, she didn't even shoot any aircraft down at night as far as i'm aware, and that radar operator's position had to be the smallest, most cramped position in any WWII aircraft...........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back