Which was the.....boxing.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Even though I'm not a fan of boxing, I'm sure that it's a few fans here, right?
Just for curiousity, which would you concider the best and the most important fights of all time?

Important in what sense?

Ali vs Frazier in Manila was one of the best fights I've seen, they'd both run out of gas by the 10th, where Ali dug it up from is anybody's guess

Hagler vs Hearns was one of the most furious, if shortest fights I've seen

McGuigan vs Laporte - Laporte lost the fight but went out like a true champion, he forced McGuigan to take it to the wire

Benn vs Watson - Nigel finally discovered that he wasn't invincible.

Watson vs Eubank - two fighters who just wouldn't back down. The consequences of the fight on Michael were a tragedy

Always been a fan of Hagler, he was an extremely disciplined fighter with a jaw made of granite

Heard about some fight back in the 30's between an American and a German that seemed important....

1) The "Thrilla In Manila" (Ali - Frazier III)..........Ali said after, "I felt near death", or something like that.

2) Hagler - Hearns............As Colin said, FURIOUS!

3) Ali - Frazier I...........Both undefeated. Listening on the radio, sounded to me like Ali should have won. When I later saw the video, Frazier deserved the decision.

TO

Theres been some big fights, theres been legendary fights, theres been fights that I was EXTREMELY interested in seeing... Gotta agree with the guys above, but really, there are just too many great fights to list...

When Long Islander white man Gerry Cooney went against Heavyweight Champion Larry Holmes in 1982, us Long Islanders were in a fu*kin frenzy... A World Champion from Huntington Long Island??? Jesus Mary and Joseph we were amped.... Cooney made it into the 12th round before his corner threw the towel into the ring, ending our hopes and dreams of grandeur...

Couple of Tyson fights were pretty damn impressive as well....

Lucky, You are thinking of the Joe Lewis vs Max Schmelling fight. Max was the German champion and most looked on this fight as either a white vs black contest or as America vs Germany fight. The great joe lewis won
Historically another fight which set the tone of many boxing contests was the 1908 Jack Johnson vs Tommy Burns fight.
Jack was black and refused to act like a good black, he was not afraid of whites and openly consorted with white women. When he beat the irish tommy burns the quest began for the "great white hope" or a white man to once again prove the superiority of the white race

Let's go way back,
1882 Paddy Pyan vs John L Sullivan 9 rounds John L takes the worlds heavyweight title under the London Prize Fight Rules (bare knuckle, including holds and throws and even spiked shoes)
1889 Sullivan defends his title against Kilrain last title fight under the London rules. Kilrain's manager throws in the towel in the 75th round (a round ended when someone was knocked down, 30 sec rest, 8 sec to come to sctatch)
and most famous of all: 1892 Sullivan defends his title against Gentlemen Jim Corbett, New Orleans, 7 Sep 1892. This bout is under the relatively new Marquess of Queensberry rules. The younger, faster, and more technical fighter Corbett knocks Sullivan out in the 21st round

It's funny that back in '75 when Thrilla in Manila happened at Araneta, my grandfather (Who was a big fan of boxing) did not watch that fight. :lol: It's like the time he switched the V8 engine of his Mustang to a diesel.

I haven't seen a lot of boxing matches (Since nearly every match I watched has been of Manny Pacquiao) but Louis-Schmeling is possibly the best. It's almost like Louis was saying to Hitler "You've been owned!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back