Who was the Greatest Leader of WWII? (1 Viewer)

Who was the Greatest Leader of WWII?

• Japan: Emperor Hirohito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • China: Chiang Kai-shek

• Norway: Haakon VII

• Spain: Francisco Franco

• Morocco: Mohammed V

• India: Subhash Chandra Bose

• Germany: Heinrich Himmler

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just don't go to Italy with that name then.

Okay, I'll be the *^+$ that picks Hitler. He effected the most change in any nation prior to the war, rebuilt his country's war machine, and restored morale to the German population (albeit at the expense of the jews). AND, if it weren't for him, we wouldn't have this forum. Yeah, I know he got all paranoid, delusional, and just downright stupid somewhere in '40-'42, but prior to that...

He began making large mistakes in 1941, he certainly was paranoid about the effectiveness of his Heeres. Even with mistakes made in 1941, they could have pulled off a victory. But he continued to fall down, becoming more and more insane.

From 1933 - 1938, Hitler was the greatest politician in history. From 1938 - 1940, he was (probably) the greatest war leader in history. 1941 - 1942, he was becoming over demanding and arrogant. 1943, he was getting delusional. 1944-1945, he was a complete arse.

I think Roosevelt may have had the biggest influence
1. Lend Lease before the war when it was actually illegal.
2. made the ETO the first choice
3. supported both the Manhatten Project and the B-29 while keeping everything else going
4. in spite of the political situation herded the US into a war footing prior to hostilities
5. increased lend lease during the war keeping both Russia and the British going through the toughest parts of the war.

Churchill is right behind him keeping the British in there fighting.

Stalin was a zero, and made mistakes as big as Hitler but had a bigger buffer and got lucky with good people that fought for Russia and not Stalin.

wmaxt

He was also a naive individual with no farsight concerning the Communists... Churchill on the other hand.

syscom3 said:
FDR's greatest talent was knowing when to leave the strategy of fighting the war with the Generals and admirals.
Something Stalin was slow to warm up to, but he eventually did. Unlike Hitler, he began to see the sense in leaving military operations up to military men. Unfortunately, millions of Soviets had to die before he woke up.

wmaxt said:
Stalin was a zero, and made mistakes as big as Hitler but had a bigger buffer and got lucky with good people that fought for Russia and not Stalin.

You might be surprised, but Stalin was "worshiped" by Soviet people.When German forces came close to Moscow he refused to leave the city.This greatly improved the morale of troops.

syscom3 said:
As documented in the movie "Pearl Harbor", FDR was also a cripple who could on occasion stand up and walk.

Hollywood wouldnt lie about that would they?

FDR was crippled by polio, with braces and help he could stand and shuffle. He had to have support as his legs, even with braces, would not fully support his weight, if you look for it you'll see an arm or a handrail supporting him whenever he is standing. There was a show about his Polio I think it was called "Warm Springs" which is a spa/polio treatment center FDR owned/supported. I belive his will stipulated that the majority of his holdings went to Warm Springs.

He was not perfect by any means, and often set up competitions between comanders. Example: in the Pacific he never defined wheather Nimitz or MacArthur was in charge of which areas. However he rarely interfered with the combat plans and details of the comanders in the field.

As for Stalin, I feel he was feared/hated much more than loved (he never brought one good thing to the Russian peasents). The average Russian fought for Russia/Homeland much more intensely than for Stalin who even then had shown his only priority was to be the boss and to bad for everyone else. Just my opinion, but based on numerous interviews I've read of many Russians/Soviets who hated their govt. but loved their country.

wmaxt

I would have to go with Roosevelt he was able to assist Churchill and prepare his own country for war while keeping the isolationists at bay, we would have been in far worse shape on Dec 8 1941 if someone else was in office then.

plan_D said:
Someone explain the reason for choosing Mussolini, please. I just don't get how you can choose a man who led his country to a war that they were were completely and absolutely unable to fight in. With no industry, or proper military ability he took the nation into combat against one the great superpowers of the day and hoped to achieve victory.

Honest question, why choose him?

I don't know maybe they were impressed by the fact that he got "the trains to run on time".

I chose churchill as he gave loads of moral-boosting speeches and if we had a different PM, our moral would of dropped and we would of suurenderd to Hitler. Also, Churchill wanted to go ashore with the first wave on D-Day, but King George IV stopped him by saying, 'Fine. If youre going, then so am I'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back