Wild ride!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wow! That was extremely lucky!
Given that was a licenced, active dz, and the parachutist was in the right place, then that pilot could be in trouble.

the chute and plane can both be rebuilt....but both pairs of pants are a complete write off! having a divers dz on an active runway is a recipe for disaster imho. they either need to close the strip while diving is taking place or have the dz way off site where it will not interfere with the traffic pattern.....even having some sort of air traffic controller wont help as it is not a requirement to have a radio at certain class airports.

I looked up this airport, a grass uncontrolled strip with the runway area marked with cones and the prachute area marked white buckets. First impressions - I think the skydiver should not have been operating anywhere near the take off or landing threshold. Glad they both made it out of this alive, hate to see that nice Cessna 170 get trashed.

Last edited:
Both are extremely lucky - an airfield with both active para dz and runway areas, likely within a NFL pitches distance of seperation from each other... were the staff/guards or local law person/overseeing representative or someone not able to give a wave off (wave arms in an X above head) signal. Methinks they won't be allowing concurrent DZ LZ at that airfield no more.

Given those slow motion shots, I'd thought the jumper would've suffered a lot of ground bounce induced affects, let alone both naturally have sphinchter cramp, boy, so nearly through the prop and windscreen... *shudders*

Last edited:
Don't know about the USA, but in the UK and most of Europe, an active, registered DZ, or an area NOTAM'd as a temporary DZ (example, for a display) must not have props or rotors turning on the ground whilst a drop is in progress or about to exit, and no overflying within a radius of three miles of the center of the field. The exceptions to the latter are for the para-dropping aircraft returning to land after the jumpers have exited, and, of course, high-flying traffic, both of which would not cause conflict.
That said, I was in freefall once over a registered DZ, back in 1984, passing through about 3,000 feet IIRC, when I saw a rapidly approaching dot, which very quickly developed into a Buccaneer, which passed directly below me, slap over the center of the DZ, below 1,000 feet !!
I believe the crew got a sever bollocking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back