Wing-tip drop tanks vs. 'regular' drop tanks?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tomo pauk

Creator of Interesting Threads
Apr 3, 2008
Wing-tip fuel tanks came in vogue post-ww2. Wonder whether someone might shed some light explaining both good and bad things, vs. the usual configuration used on ww2 aircraft?

MODERATORS, could you please move this into the 'Aviation' subforum - thanks :)

I think FlyboyJ has covered much of this in various posts. Tip Tanks can stabilize wing aerodynamics ..... if I understood him correctly.

Attachments

• Canadair_CF_116_CF-5A_Freedom_Fighter.JPG
    Canadair_CF_116_CF-5A_Freedom_Fighter.JPG
    324.8 KB · Views: 1,230
Last edited:
Its a guess but I suspect the wing tip tank would have a similar impact as the winglets on modern airliners. The would reduce the induced drag resulting in a cleaner airflow.

I think FlyboyJ has covered much of this in various posts. Tip Tanks can stabilize wing aerodynamics ..... if I understood him correctly.
Ahh. The good old "ERB" (End of Runway Bomber).

757 is a beauty, served with 434 in the late '70's.

The BEST Thing about the CF-116 was the fact that it ATE UP HOURS at a cheap price per hour. I lived in Cold Lake during the '70's and was there during the CF-18 transition as well. Seen it all...and then some.

Probably need to reinforce wings if you are going to place several hundred pounds of fuel on the tips.

The tip tanks' weight is only a problem when the aircraft is on the ground. In flight, they will reduce the bending moment on the wings.

As to the aerodynamics, tip tanks may reduce the induced drag enough to offset their form drag. They probably did so on the F-80 and the USN's F9F Panther.

The tip tanks' weight is only a problem when the aircraft is on the ground. In flight, they will reduce the bending moment on the wings.

As to the aerodynamics, tip tanks may reduce the induced drag enough to offset their form drag. They probably did so on the F-80 and the USN's F9F Panther.
And the F2H2 Banshee, if I remember right.

I'm not aware of any that were drop tanks. When they were empty, they'd almost surely improve efficiency of the wing, so there's not real point in dropping them.

This would depend on the aircraft. I could tell you that tip tanks did not reduce the bending moment on the T-33 during certain speeds and flight attitudes..

Were there ever DROP wing tip tanks, or are they permanent?

Again, depends on the aircraft.

There are pics and films of F-80s and F-84s dropping their tip tanks. The L29R and L39 have permanent tip tanks.

This would depend on the aircraft. I could tell you that tip tanks did not reduce the bending moment on the T-33 during certain speeds and flight attitudes..

I am surprised by that, but I don't disbelieve you. Probably, there are also conditions where the tanks could worsen torsional loads.

How did tip tanks contribute to the spin characteristics of the aircraft?
I was never in a T-33 during a spin but from what I understand it's not that bad even with the tip tanks. I'm told there is a tendency for the aircraft to pitch up and become inverted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back