Winter camouflage....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just saw this thread. That is some wonderful winter white finishes there! As a by the way the white paint was an aircraft laquer and though it does seem to have weathered it was at least semi permanent. Some of you will have seen photographs and profiles of units who selectively removed areas of white in the spring. By this time it would have been on the airframe for several months!
I've looked up some RLM directives regarding application of winter camouflage.

From Luftwaffe Directive Sheet 27 (21/6/43)
"The Ikarin camouflage paint A2515.21 as used last winter for snow camouflage of aircraft should in future be indented for only under the designation Aircraft paint 7126.21".

Now we know what we are looking for.

From Luftwaffe Directive Sheet 43 (4/10/43)

"In accordance with TAGL I Q 2eNo1, serial number 437/43 the following is to be used for the winter camouflage of aircraft and aircraft equipment, provided such latter is fitted to the aircraft or protrudes from it (e.g. onboard armament)
Camouflage paint,white aircraft paint 7126.21."
This order also stipulates using this paint on everything from ground vehicles to tarpaulin covers.

Finally the book Der Flugzeugmaler (aircraft painter) for 1944 states:

"Snow camouflage is applied in the winter months only, with aviation lacquer 7126.21. Paintbrushes are best used to apply the colour"

Instructions also state that aircraft maintained or overhauled at maintenance units were to be returned to Eastern Front units with a solid white coating. I bet any money these were sprayed, whatever the book says. I've got photos of it being done.
The orders for the removal of the winter scheme stipulate rubber scrapers and hard work.
I would add a word of caution. Contrary to the popular German stereotype, Luftwaffe units, particularly those a long way from Berlin, seem to have been very remiss at following the constant stream of orders and directives emanating from the RLM and Luftwaffe. Both organisations continually complain about units "doing there own thing".
(One inspectors report accuses groups in France of ruining their aircrafts finish by polishing them.)
That doesn't seem to have stopped them issuing reams of orders and corrections that any red tape bureaucracy would be proud of.

I've lifted this from a post I made elsewhere but most of it is from one of Michael Ullmann's excellent books. Apologies if I have failed to credit others but I'm away from my references at the moment.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Jan

just browsing and came upon this little beauty. hope it helps
Stuka-Winter-2.jpg

Hi Terry

It's a 1/5 scale.
Few more pics where that one came from. ( Wish i could build something like that.:D )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back