Winter camouflage....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Do you mean the oveall white 'washable' finish, applied to some Luftwaffe types Jan? If so, I've only done it once,donkey's years ago, using thickish water colour white paint. Now, with acrylics, it should be much easier.
Try painting over the original colour scheme, using slightly thinned white acrylic, maybe with a tiny touch of black added, using a brush, not the airbrush. This should go on unevenly for the first coat, giving the appearance of worn paint, with the original colours showing through. Where you want a more 'solid' appearance, give another coat. Should work, but try it out on a 'hack' model, or pre-painted scrap first.

Something like these old boy!

DSCF0005-2.jpg

L1+UD

DSCF0011.jpg

A5+KJ

DSCF0014.jpg

L1+FH

Nice! yep, I think the method desrcibed should work, and, as H mentioned, an airbrush could do the job too. But, a thin coat, on a wide setting, or misted on, building up as required.

Yes, by airbrush lightly mottling it on...heavier in some areas light in others. you can then drybrush colours, the greens to partially show through or use Pastels to create the effects of colour, dirt, mud etc.....will post a pic later today of some Pastel effect on winter camo....:D

The way I do it is to do the full "summer" or regular camo scheme and then let it cure completely. Then using diluted matt white paint for the winter camouflage. Let the white (Winter coat) dry but NOT completely. Using a stiff brush or fine sand paper start to wear away at the white until the original scheme starts to show through. You can also use cotton swabs or a paper towl with some (very little) thinner on it.

If you choose to use an airbrush don't apply a uniform coat.

Last edited:
What I like to do to make the wear marks is to take a stiff brush and give it a crew cut. Then you start scrubbing away the white. It all depends on how aggressive you want the wear to be.

In this picture I only cut half of the brush to give you a better idea what I'm talking about. If you were going to use this you cut it all the way across
IMG_1436.jpg

Sorry for being a few days late Jan...seem to be running behind just a tad on a few things lately!:rolleyes:

Couple of shots of some 109's....Yellow 12 with a heavier application of pastels in spots and one shot of II> with a light application of pastels.

The Pastels can be varied considerably to taste as can the white winter camo application...:D

Attachments

• Winter Camo_a.JPG
    Winter Camo_a.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 166
  • Winter Camo_b.JPG
    Winter Camo_b.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 161
  • Winter Camo_c.JPG
    Winter Camo_c.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 171

Users who are viewing this thread

Back