Winter camouflage....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ok Jan! here ya go first set of winter camo pics....took these in between colours while painting my Ju88 today!

Attachments

• Erhler_1_7937.JPG
    Erhler_1_7937.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Erhler_2_7939.JPG
    Erhler_2_7939.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Erhler_3_7940.JPG
    Erhler_3_7940.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 71
Great stuff Wayne, beautiful model mate, much appreciated! :thumbright: Maybe that is the kind of winter camouflage a newbie like me should kick off things with, not too advanced but still look damn good...
How did you do that particular camouflage? 8)

Nice find Ellis!

Great stuff Wayne, beautiful model mate, much appreciated! :thumbright: Maybe that is the kind of winter camouflage a newbie like me should kick off things with, not too advanced but still look damn good...
How did you do that particular camouflage? 8)

Nice find Ellis!

The white was sprayed first, then the green mottles...then I added the grey pastel to sort of simulate the underlying grey camo... showing through in patches...

Attachments

• Erhler_7938.JPG
    Erhler_7938.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Erhler_7941.JPG
    Erhler_7941.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Erhler_7942.JPG
    Erhler_7942.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Going back to these '87's. Maybe one way would be to paint them all white, to later work around with the airbrush and pastels, and as with the last one, brush as well...or?
DSCF0001-75.jpg

DSCF0002-70.jpg

DSCF0003-67.jpg

DSCF0004-57.jpg

A guy I ran into at my hobby shop told me he uses tempra paint (powdered water colour like kids use in school) applied by rush. If done over a gloss coat, it's supposedly easily flaked off with a brush or fine sandpaper. Anyone heard of this technique?

I've used a similar technique in the past, both with a brush and an airbrush. If ordinary water colour is applied over a gloss, or semi-gloss finish, it tends to collect in thicker 'clumps' of colour, which is more or less as you'd want for a 'proper' finish, whilst the rest sort of 'migrates' into a thin, semi-translucent wash, giving the appearance of worn, temporaray paint. It takes a little bit of experimentation, but the results are quite good, and more or less like the real thing, as many winter schemes were water--based distemper-type paints. The original gloss finish is dulled down by the overall coverage, but I don't know how it woukl react to any form of clear coat. That said, the winter coat was applied to the model after the decals and sealing coat had been applied, so it didn't reaslly need another clear coat. Any furthe wear and tear can be achieved by just rubbing the areas required.
In theory, this should also work with very thin acrylic paints, especially if thinned with water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back