With all the bad news about pet snakes...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In cases with dogs and babies, either the dog protects the baby or gets jealous and does this. My dad was 6 months old his parents bought a german shepard, thing protected him like a guard dog and growled at anyone that came near him for his whole childhood. Used to wrap himself around him when he slept.. I feel bad for the kid.

I'm not sure that's typical canine behaviour
though I stress I'm no animal behaviourist, family dogs tend to recognise human offspring as important, if young members of the pack, something else for them to keep an eye on; the quality that humans mostly value in dogs is their unwavering loyalty. Sibling rivalry is something that doesn't appreciate the attention being diverted.

I don't think there's any room for ambiguity here, the owner saw the dog with the child and had to run after him, the child was badly wounded and I don't think a pathological investigation is going to reveal the teeth marks of an animal other than the dog's.

If that's a pic of the dog further back in the post, it looks more like a wolf to me.

I won't say it's normal behavior, but I have a friend that had a dog that got very aggesive towards thier first newborn. Dog had the run of the house until this baby came into the house and tried to bite her on several occasions. So it does happen. I suppose it depends on the breed and it's circumstances. On the other hand I've seen many more dogs accept new children as part of the family and defend them as if they were thier own babies.
No way would this dog be permitted back into my household, and I would feel guity if it was re-adopted and I found out it injured another person.

Pointing the finger at dogs
or pointing the finger away from snakes?

:lol:

Neither, I love both animals. I could care less what others think. I only titled the thread that way, because I knew it would get a reaction from certain people...

Just goes to show that it happens with all sorts of animals.

In cases with dogs and babies, either the dog protects the baby or gets jealous and does this. My dad was 6 months old his parents bought a german shepard, thing protected him like a guard dog and growled at anyone that came near him for his whole childhood. Used to wrap himself around him when he slept.. I feel bad for the kid.

Agreed. Dogs will either see the kid as a part of their pack, and therefore a weaker member to be protected at all times, or as an outsider and a potential rival. Their minds can be changed, but it takes time, and 6 weeks probably isn't enough (different dogs have different personalties....that last was a general statement and there can/will be exceptions to every rule).

A personal anecdote here....

When Lil' Bit was really Lil', we had a cat named Halldorson(don't ask). I was messing around in the kitchen, and my daughter, who was about 14 months old, was playing in the living room about 12-15 feet away. Before long, I heard a blood curdling scream. When I turned, Lil' Bit's face was bleeding like the proverbial stuck pig, and Halldorson was looking at me like he knew he was toast. As I'm going to the scene of the crime, I'm thinking, "Do I kill the cat first, or do I comfort my daughter?" Either the cat was too fast, or my better judgement ruled that day. When I cleaned up my daughter, it turned out that Halldorson had scored w/ a single claw right above the bridge of my little one's nose. I'm no medico, but I suspect he just hit a capillary.

The cat finally came out 3 or 4 days later. He ended up being a loyal and loving family pet for years afterwards. I suspect that Lil' Bit tugged on an ear or tail and hurt him. The point is that even the most seemingly docile animals have their limits.

Last edited:
Maybe the dog was saving the kid from the parents?

I don't know what quarantine is in other States, but here in NJ it means an observation period of 10 days to see if the reason why the dog or cat attacked may have been rabies. If the reason is rabies, then the animal should be dead in 5 days from the disease. usually this quarantine is done at the home of the owner unless there are circumstances that over-ride that such as a Police Officer was bit, the owner has a history of letting the animal loose or its not possible to observe the animal for 10 days. Then its housed at a shelter or pound that is approved by the Health Department.

I'm not sure the dog meant any harm as that child would probably be dead before it left the house.

certain dogs have the behaviour of fighting for rank..so they see it natural to get rid of any newcomers that will take there place. its happend several times in europa that a newborn has been killed by pitbulls and bullmanstiffs ( as those has that thing strongly going for them ) sitting there so happy as they have gotten rid of the newcomers that could take their place.
not sure if that is the dog who did it ( is it ? ) if so it looks like part wolf or something..and they also have that going for them that they will kill newcomers and also fight for rank.

but i would have shoot that dog straight away.. and i would never bought a dog that was known for doing things like that ( fighting for rank ) certain dogs accept newcomers ( babies ) and protect them but others kill them.. sadely it has happened several times in Norway also ( each time it was a pit bull and a bullmanstiff who did it ) and it is a reason why bullmanstiffs are illigal in norway.

anyway..just my thoughts wnd what i have read about it.. no experience with those kinds of dogs myself..only had two elkhounds :)

and you ahve a point najco..as we dont know the full story here.. but if that dog was fighting for rank that baby would have been dead pretty fast ..so we dont know the full story here.. just shared some of my thoughs.. no offence meant for any dogowners ahving bullmanstiffs and stuff.. and all dogs have different personalities. one dog will do what another wont.. but certain races do have certain ..whats the word.. "things" going for them.. i would never own a dog breed for fighting..

Dogs are domesticated animals in which most of their "wild" genetics have been bred out of them. In fact, you can say that the vicious type of behavior is rare enough to be considered newsworthy.

Snakes on the other hand will attack and eat anything it considers food, doing exactly what its supposed to do.

hehe

you are right about that..snakes will never be tamed..as they just eat what they see as food when hungry .. same with alligators and crocodiles. certain animals will never be domesticated.

Yeap, and I am sure the snake picked out that day care center to go and eat those poor defensless children...:rolleyes:

The guy who owned the snake is a dumbass for not knowing how to properly care for such a snake. They don't stay small forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back