World War 2 Trivia

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
I've seen something on other boards that I thought was fun to do and also as a learning tool. Someone posts a question about WWII and whoever gets it right then posted the next question. Pretty simple. Guess I'll lay down some rules and if anyone can add to it, be my guest,

1. Question must be about the time period covering 1 Sept. 1939 to 8 Sept. 1945.

2. All theatres can be covered.

3. If a question is unanswered for one week, the poster may post another question.

4. If whoever answered a question correctly doesn't post a new answer within a week, the previous poster gets a second question.

lets see how this goes.......

to start:

Question: What front-line Luftwaffe unit had the distinction of using almost every major type of aircraft on operations during the war? (KG 200 excluded)

Sorry, I should have read the question better.

No problem, its an interesting question and I excluded KG 200 because it really wasn't "front-line" in the sense. This unit operated from 1 Sept all the way to the end and was kinda unique.

Well I guess this idea died a quick death.

The answer was I./LG 1 used Bf 109s, Bf 110s, Ju 88s and He 111s among other machines during operations throughout the war - almost every major type used by the Luftwaffe.

Sorry NJ,

I'm too simplistic. I need questions like:

Which Bomber was produced in the greatest quantity?
What was the fastest twin engine (parallel) aircraft?
Which had the greatest kill ratios?

Recalling specific units is too obscure for me, I cant compete!

Yes, I agree with Amsel. Was wracking my brains over the first question, and found out I knew the answer when it was revealed!
Just to help the thread along, Njaco, here's a simple one. Not aviation, but WW2.
Why was the 'Sten' gun so called?

Which piece of equipment was issued to British Navigators but was turned down for the USAAF, and USN reputedly on cost grounds.
No other airforce used it

Correct and quick, Adler!
Glider, was it the 'Mercator' flight computer? (the whiz wheel still used, in modified form, today) Or, the (forget model number) sextant?

Hmm! More unexpected, so it can't be something like 'Gee' or the other electronic gizmos. Surely it wasn't the navigator's satchel? Like Njaco, I have a feeling I know this, but......AH! Strip maps??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back