World War 2 Trivia

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I thought this was a simple question but, oh, well.

The Fairey Battle also had the distinction of being the first Luftwaffe Night-fighter kill of the war.

At 00:45 hours in evening of 20 April 1940 Ofw. Willi Schmale of IV(N)./JG 2 shot down a Battle from RAF No. 218 Sqdrn dropping leaflets over Darmstadt and Mainz. It was also the last Battle shot down during the "Sitzkrieg" or Phoney War.

Thank heavens we got the answer! Wasn't what I thought, but a good one. I can't think of anything at the moment, so, next?
Oh, yes I can. Which was the first RAF aircraft to take part in an offensive action in WW2, and when?

A Blenheim Mk IV of RAF No. 139 Sqdrn piloted by F/O MacPherson on the naval targets at Wilhelmshaven on 3 Sept. 1940. It was a recon and the cameras froze so the crew made sketches?

What time?
Only kidding! I'd need to check, but I believe take-off was 3 minutes after war had been officially declared!
Well done with the quick answer mate!
Your turn!

Who's helmet is this, and after what famous battle...

helmet.jpg

edd

Ok here's a question.

Germany awarded 159 Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords (the Schwerter) but one person was an honorary recipient of the award. Who was it?

From Wiki...

"In total, 7,318 awards of the Knight's Cross were made, but only 882 received Oak Leaves (plus 8 non-German recipients); 159 received Oak Leaves and Swords (plus one honorary recipient, the Japanese admiral Isoroku Yamamoto)."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back