World War 2 Trivia

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

With Gen. Buckner, it was during the massive bombing campaign conducted to help with the breakout from St. Lo, and either the front-lines smoke markers were set in the wrong spot, or the wind was blowing from the wrong direction, but the bombers dropped about a half-mile off-target. After the attack, though, another Army general went to the 8th Air Corps guys and told them not to worry about it, that accidents happen, but if they hadn't bombed there would not have been a break-out.

Who was the only female to receive the Iron Cross?

Two women? (1st Class Iron Cross)...

1st Class:
- Hanna Reitsch (11/42, Pilot)
- Else Grossmann (1/45, Red Cross Nurse)

From this site comiso...

Axis History Forum • View topic - Women awarded the Iron Cross

According to Wiki, Hanna was the only one to win First Class. She was quite hard core too.

"When asked about being ordered to leave the Fuhrerbunker on 28 April 1945 Reitsch and von Greim reportedly repeated the same answer, "It was the blackest day when we could not die at our Führer's side." Reitsch also said, "We should all kneel down in reverence and prayer before the altar of the Fatherland." When the interviewers asked what she meant by "Altar of the Fatherland" she answered, "Why, the Führer's bunker in Berlin..."

Hanna Reitsch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah. I read the intro to the Wiki site you provided, and you're right. The odd thing is, if you go further down to the "Early Career" paragraph, you'll find this..

"Reitsch became Adolf Hitler's favourite pilot and was one of only two women awarded the Iron Cross First Class during World War II."

But I can't find Else Grossmann on the net, yet.

LOL Terry!

Actually, my German is almost non-existant...

I actually spoke Prussian as a child, which is my Great-Aunt Hanke's fault...

Prussian is to German, as Olde English is to modern english...the syntax is all wrong!

But I remember some of it here and there...lol

Graeme my German's pretty rusty,
but that looks like the 3 authors would like to call to your attention to the German Red Cross sister, Else Grossman, the recipient of the Iron Cross.

Hi Dave. Thanks for the translation! Looks like Else is very much overshadowed by Hanna's fame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back