World War 2 Trivia (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not sure what the make was of the aircraft that spotted him, but I'm pretty sure the aircraft that picked him up was a Kingfisher.

Hi Grau. From what I've read it was a Vought Kingfisher that spotted him, but he was returned to Funafuti atoll in PT-26, skippered by Ensign John M. Weeks.

ok, let's try again.....

Who's helmet is this, and after what famous battle...

Graphic1.JPG

edd

I'm gonna say General Andrews? KIA in 1943 ( I think I posted this info a few months back) I'm not so sure.

Ok...who was the highest ranking U.S. officer killed in combat during WWII?

And for extra credit, who killed him?

G'day Grau.

Got these from a WWII site and Wiki...

"The highest ranking U.S. general killed by enemy fire was Lt. General Simon Bolivar, Jr."

"He was killed during the closing days of the Battle of Okinawa by enemy artillery fire. Buckner remains the highest-ranking American to have been killed by enemy fire during the Second World War, and the highest military officer lost during WWII, along with Lt. Gen. Lesley J. McNair, who was killed by friendly fire in France on July 25, 1944."

By the term "who", did you mean someone specifically or simply Japanese artillery?

On the subject of Generals...Who's this?...

He was dyslexic and has been quoted as saying...

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it calls for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back