World War 2 Trivia

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Do you mean in combat? while in the service? Else I've always heard it was Carol Lombard, Clark Gables wife who died in a plane crash near Las Vegas while on a war bond tour.
In combat on 01 Nov 1944, Army Nurse Aleda E. Lutz of Freeland Michigan was the first U.S. military woman to die in a combat zone during World War II when her hospital plane went down on her 196th rescue mission.

Last edited:
Mike has it! According to "official" history records, Carol Lombard is recorded as the first war-related American female casualty of World War II.

Mike has it! According to "official" history records, Carol Lombard is recorded as the first war-related American female casualty of World War II.
She died on a US domestic flight, thousands of miles away from any conflict ????

Here are the names and ages of some female civilians killed in the attack on Pearl Habor.
EWA BEACH: Yaeko Lillian Oda, age 6. HONOLULU: Nancy Masako Arakaki, age 8, Matilda Kaliko Faufata, age 12, Emma Gonsalves, age 34, Shirley Kinue Hirasaki, age 2, Janet Yumiko Ohta, age 3 months, Hiyako Ohta, age 19, Barbara June Ornellas, age 8, Gertrude Ornellas, age 16, Alice White, age 42, Eunice Wilson, age 7 months. PEARL CITY: Rowena Kamohaulani Foster, age 3.

Last edited:
The first American female casualties of WW2 were probably amongst the 28 US citizens who were killed when the British liner SS Athenia was sunk by a German U-boat on the 3rd September 1939 with the loss of 118 lives.

Chris, I'll take it, though I tend to agree with Redcoat.
When, where, and what was the "Death Match" in which the winners got arrested, tortured, and killed?

Chris, I'll take it, though I tend to agree with Redcoat.
When, where, and what was the "Death Match" in which the winners got arrested, tortured, and killed?
Kiev 9th August 1942, a football match between a Luftwaffe Flak team called Flakelf and a Soviet team called Start which contained a couple of ex-soviet football league players, the game ended in a 5-3 victory for the Soviets after which according to Soviet propaganda a number of the Soviet players were beaten or shot in revenge.
However, recent research has shown that while 5 of the Soviet players were eventually murdered by the SS, this wasn't directly connected to the match, which ended according to eyewittnesses in good spirits, the later deaths being caused by the brutal occupational practices of the SS against Soviet citizens

Yup, except I have the Soviet team as FC Start and the Germans as Flakelf. Tis all yours, you may fire when ready Riddley!
Here's a fashion question.
The dress code of the British and Commonwealth 8th Army in the desert was notably relaxed, but Monty when he was in charge only issued one instruction on this subject, he banned his soldiers from wearing something.
What was it?

:lol:

No, that would have really upset the Sikh soldiers in his army if he had banned turbans. !!!!

It's western male fashion item, not something you would expect in the desert.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back