World War 2 Trivia

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The only dress code Monty ever issued was in North Africa, when passing an army truck, he noticed a naked soldier wearing a top hat in the back of it, who on seeing the general got up and gave him a very dignified bow with a tip of the hat. Monty just laughed at this and carried on, but later he thought about it and decided the soldiers conduct was perhaps going a little too far, so he issued this order "Soldiers of the Eighth Army are not to wear Top Hats".

The only dress code Monty ever issued was in North Africa, when passing an army truck, he noticed a naked soldier wearing a top hat in the back of it, who on seeing the general got up and gave him a very dignified bow with a tip of the hat. Monty just laughed at this and carried on, but later he thought about it and decided the soldiers conduct was perhaps going a little too far, so he issued this order "Soldiers of the Eighth Army are not to wear Top Hats".
Well done, you are correct.

Your turn.:lol:

I know of one but that was during the civil war: In the evening of March 9, 1865, Confederate Calvary under General Joseph Wheeler surprised General H. Judson Kilpatrick's command at Monroe's Crossing, SC. On top of the order to carry out the surprise invasion of Kilpatrick's command center, Gen. Wheeler's southerners were also told to capture the Yankee commander in his sleep. Fortunately for Kilpatrick, he was able to flee and avoid capture, but unfortunately, according to reports, he left his pants behind…

I know of one but that was during the civil war: In the evening of March 9, 1865, Confederate Calvary under General Joseph Wheeler surprised General H. Judson Kilpatrick's command at Monroe's Crossing, SC. On top of the order to carry out the surprise invasion of Kilpatrick's command center, Gen. Wheeler's southerners were also told to capture the Yankee commander in his sleep. Fortunately for Kilpatrick, he was able to flee and avoid capture, but unfortunately, according to reports, he left his pants behind…
Similar to what I'm looking for, but 70+ years too early :)

Yea, I know. OK been thinking (don't do it very often, hurts) I seem to recall a story involving General Mark W. Clark and a secret mission prior to Operation Torch. Clark and a few others were taken by sub to a small village near Algiers to meet with one of the Vichy leaders in North Africa. Clark carried a few thousand in gold with him (don't remember why). After meeting with the Vichy leader they tried to return to the sub but the seas were up and their tiny boat threatened to capsize. Clark, afraid he'd drown with the gold weighing him down took off his pants. In his haste to get on the sub his pants and gold were left in the boat which drifted away. It (boat) was found later on the beach, Clark's pants were recovered, but the gold was AWOL. I also recall that in true military fashion Clark ordered a General to remove his pants who then ordered a colonel who ordered a Captain to remove his pants who in turn ordered a lieutenant to remove his. Chain of command

Yea, I know. OK been thinking (don't do it very often, hurts) I seem to recall a story involving General Mark W. Clark and a secret mission prior to Operation Torch. Clark and a few others were taken by sub to a small village near Algiers to meet with one of the Vichy leaders in North Africa. Clark carried a few thousand in gold with him (don't remember why). After meeting with the Vichy leader they tried to return to the sub but the seas were up and their tiny boat threatened to capsize. Clark, afraid he'd drown with the gold weighing him down took off his pants. In his haste to get on the sub his pants and gold were left in the boat which drifted away. It (boat) was found later on the beach, Clark's pants were recovered, but the gold was AWOL. I also recall that in true military fashion Clark ordered a General to remove his pants who then ordered a colonel who ordered a Captain to remove his pants who in turn ordered a lieutenant to remove his. Chain of command
Correct, but I'm unsure about the chain of command quote as he later boarded the RN sub trouserless, and I'm sure they could have provided him with some trousers without that amount of messing about.

Anyway your turn ;)

Last edited:
OK, an easy one. Name the fighter ace who was grounded twice for poor eyesight (small slivers of glass in his eyes) and had to memorize the eye-chart in order to fly again

OK, an easy one. Name the fighter ace who was grounded twice for poor eyesight (small slivers of glass in his eyes) and had to memorize the eye-chart in order to fly again
He was a pilot who once told an inexperienced pilot in his unit who had an enemy fighter on his tail and who was pleading for advice, "Bail out, you bed-wetter!" :(

Pbehn, you got it, apparently vision is not a requirement for a fighter pilot. Your turn, Tally Ho

I Think young Mr Galland had a temprary problem normally like most aces he had exceptional eyesight.

**** I am next, it is 3AM .....back tomorrow guys with a question.

pbehn, one would think so but Galland did fail a vision test after his first crash which he barely survived. Glass fragments from the windshield had damaged one of his eyes. His physical was negative and he was declared unfit. A friend kept the report secret and he returned to flying. After his second crash his eye was further damaged and the old unfit report came to light. He had his brother steal the eyecharts, which he memorized in order to pass the flight physical. After the Polish campaign Galland requested and received a medical transfer (he claimed the open cockpit aggravated his rheumatism) into closed cockpit aircraft. Considering his eye problem one can only wonder if that were the only reason. Enough said

The most decorated unit ever in U.S. history is the 442nd regimental Combat Team, whose motto was "Go for Broke." It consisted of Japanese-American volunteers. Together they won 4,667 major medals, awards, and citations, including 560 Silver Stars (28 of which had oak-leaf clusters), 4,000 Bronze Stars, 52 Distinguished Service Crosses, and one Medal of Honor, plus 54 other decorations. It also held the distinction of never having a case of desertion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back