Worlds Greatest Rock Roll Singer... (1 Viewer)

Worlds Greatest Rock Roll Singer...

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think perhaps the Definition of Rock Roll needs to be looked at more closely, some sources say the "Rock Roll" is "Rock and roll (often written as rock roll or rock 'n' roll) is a genre of popular music that originated and evolved in the United States during the late 1940s and early 1950s, primarily from a combination of the blues, country music, jazz, and gospel music. Though elements of rock and roll can be heard in country records of the 1930s, and in blues records from the 1920s, rock and roll did not acquire its name until the 1950s. An early form of rock and roll was rockabilly, which combined country and jazz with influences from traditional Appalachian folk music and gospel".
I which case it may be Elvis (not a personal favourite of mine) or Jerry Lee Lewis.

However, other sources say "they regard it as the music that originated in the mid-1950s and later evolved "into the more encompassing international style known as rock music. Rock music is a genre of popular music that developed during and after the 1960s, particularly in the United Kingdom and the United States. It has its roots in 1940s and 1950s rock and roll, itself heavily influenced by rhythm and blues and country music. Rock music also drew strongly on a number of other genres such as blues and folk, and incorporated influences from jazz, classical and other musical sources. Musically, rock has centred around the electric guitar, usually as part of a rock group with bass guitar and drums."

In which case Jimi Hendrix or Robert Plant.

Was just thinking that, going back to this poll....Rock N Roll, so many names that's missing and so many that shouldn't be on the list....
With the title Rock N Roll, obviously means 50's and early 60's style, Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly, Johnny Burnette and others....

Long live the real Rock N Roll and Rockabilly of course!! 8)

Rock n' Roll singers? Most of them wouldn't know rock n' roll if it reared up and bit them on the backside.
Male: Buddy Holly
Female Brenda Lee

Edgar

Rock music is a "major" genre will lots of sub genres under it.

For example:

Rock
Hard Rock
Alternative Rock
Heavy Metal

There are too many to name...

So yes they are rock and roll singers.

Have to agree with Edgar Brooks and herman1rg though, Rock N Roll IS what is said the post everything else is as you say sub genres and. I think, not Rock N Roll as such....if it was, it wouldn't be called Heavy Metal, Glam Rock, Hair Metal etc., etc...same as Rockabilly isn't Rock N Roll, it's Rockabilly, a sub genre... :D

I forgot whom I voted for long ago - checked - mm, Steve Tyler of Aerosmith; equal to Guns n' Roses and and either side of Mark Knoffler, but below Uncle Jimmy (Hendrix) at the top tier/apex of my own opinioned 'Rock Pantheon'.
I was truely caught between him, Axle Rose, Bon Scott, James Hetfield, Roger Walters, Robert Plant, Mick Jagger the not so rockish Wierd Al Yankovic, and the singer(s) from Fuel, Mutemath Monoral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back