WW 2 Axis Color !

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Imperial Japanse Army's Ki-45 twin-engined fighter.

The left BW photo is original.
The right color image is my remake with aid of a 3D CG tool.
Adjusting angle to the original was very difficult but I suddenly noticed that I was grasping all positions of the 3 aircraft(below).

Why 3? The cameraman was aboard the first one.

Thats a really impressive project...I assume that the airplanes in the last picture are in the same flight configuration as they are in your first 3D rendering (but from a different camera angle)?
:coffee::eating:

Thats a really impressive project...I assume that the airplanes in the last picture are in the same flight configuration as they are in your first 3D rendering (but from a different camera angle)?
:coffee::eating:

Hello, proton45. I'm glad to hear from you again:)

Yes, the formation is same one with the different angles.

By applying the same method, you will easily know that the legendary BW photo "B-29 being attacked by Ki-45" was a false composite photograph.

The Ki-45 looks too small when it flys under the wing of the Superfort on the photo.
To keep the same size ratio, it had to fly over the wing.
8)8)

Attachments

• no_title.JPG
    no_title.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 455
  • B29_)A_sq_22_with_Ki45.JPG
    B29_)A_sq_22_with_Ki45.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:
Awesome! I've always liked your work Shinpachi! :thumbright:

Btw, there's a few ideas for dioramas in there, the Ju 52 Ambulance just to mention one....

This is a screenshot from a movie "Zero (by Toshio Masuda in 1984)".

To be remarked is this aluminum-made 1:1 scale zero was manufactured for the movie by actual Mitsubishi Heavy Industries.

Attachments

• ww2-Zero (Toshio Masuda. 1984).avi_001103880.jpg
    ww2-Zero (Toshio Masuda. 1984).avi_001103880.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 379
This is a screenshot from a movie "Zero (by Toshio Masuda in 1984)".

To be remarked is this aluminum-made 1:1 scale zero was manufactured for the movie by actual Mitsubishi Heavy Industries.

That's a really cool picture (and movie fact)...I wonder what happened to the Zero they made for the movie? It seems to me that a 1:1 scale model of a (looks like) A6M2 would make a very impressive display model for a museum.

p.s. How is the movie? Did you enjoy it?

By applying the same method, you will easily know that the legendary BW photo "B-29 being attacked by Ki-45" was a false composite photograph.

The Ki-45 looks too small when it flys under the wing of the Superfort on the photo.
To keep the same size ratio, it had to fly over the wing.
8)8)

I'm very impressed with your (historical) 3D research...only a dedicated artist and historian would have taken the time to share the results of their inquiry into such a well known (and dare I say loved_lol) photo...thanks for posting your results of your curiosity. :)

Last edited:
Thanks and you are welcome, proton45.

The zero used for the movie could have been A6M1 - Type12 Experimental Carrier Fighter.
It is now in Iwakuni Airbase of Hiroshima.

It looks A6M2a - Model 11.

Attachments

• ww2-Zero (Toshio Masuda. 1984).avi_001208880.jpg
    ww2-Zero (Toshio Masuda. 1984).avi_001208880.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
Yes, they have painted the beautiful aluminum finish with the popular color scheme for zero- dark green/light grey.

If it was made of wood, that's OK but...... Yes, I agree with you, proton45.

Attachments

• p6.jpg
    p6.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 362
Oh, Wayne. Happy New Year.
Japan is rushing into the new year in about 10 minutes.
Please instruct us with your deep knowdedge about the ww2 aircrafts in 2010 too.

8)original paint?

Attachments

• me.jpg
    me.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 391
  • me1.jpg
    me1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 397
  • me6.jpg
    me6.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 389

Users who are viewing this thread