WW2 Ship Wrecks (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

And they go staight out, pick up the clams and bring them back to sell in the local area. ERRRGGGGHHHHH! Another reason for me to beg off when the big pile of steamed clams comes out at Charlie's in Sommer's Point. Pitcher of beer and plate of chicken wings will do...

I believe this is the cruiser.

If you look just to the north of the reef line, you will see the outline of the ship, with some disturbances in the water from where the hull is still above the surface.

This is in Kwajelien atoll, only a few hundred meters from where some sources say the ship is resting.

Attachments

• Prinze Eugen b.jpg
    Prinze Eugen b.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 110
As I recall the navy were reluctant to call the Tirpitz a sinking due to the fact that it was only on its side. However, that is a big crater from the tallboy bomb. No wonder Tirpitz sank!

Exploring the Pacific battles island by island on Google Earth reveals many visible shipwrecks. Following the campaigns of the Central Pacific (Nimitz) starting with the Gilberts and ending with Okinawa, I found quite a few.

1. Iwo Jima
2. Taroa, Maloelap Atoll, Marshalls
3. Betio, Tarawa Atoll, Gilberts.

JT

Attachments

• GoogleIwo2Shipwrecks.jpg
    GoogleIwo2Shipwrecks.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 91
  • GoogleMarshallsTaroaIslandMaloelapAtoll.jpg
    GoogleMarshallsTaroaIslandMaloelapAtoll.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 84
  • GoogleTarawaBetio.jpg
    GoogleTarawaBetio.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 83
I remember watching this Jacque Cousteau's documentary on this in 1971. It really ignited my interest in the war in the Pacific.

Truk Lagoon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...In 1969, the famous French oceanographer, Jacques Cousteau and his team explored Truk Lagoon. Following Cousteau's 1971 television documentary about the lagoon and its ghostly remains, the place became a scuba diving paradise, drawing wreck diving enthusiasts from around the world to see its numerous and virtually intact sunken ships. Scattered mainly around the Dublon, Eten, Fefan and Uman islands within the Truk group, a number of the shipwrecks lie in crystal clear waters less than fifteen meters below the surface. In waters devoid of normal ocean currents, divers can easily swim across decks littered with gas masks and depth charges and below deck can be found numerous human remains. In the massive ship holds are row upon row of fighter aircraft, tanks, bulldozers, railroad cars, motorcycles, torpedoes, mines, bombs, boxes of munitions, radios, plus thousands of other weapons, spare parts, and other artifacts.

In the politically incorrect times of 1971, the show he prodiced even showed some Japanese skulls and bones still left in one of the IJN ships that was sunk!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back