ww2aircraft.net siggy...?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There are plenty of actual photos of aircraft that can represent the participating nations of WWII well enough without the worry of infringement.

The idea of using IL-2 aircraft is a good one, but the game's aircraft detail can't compare to the read deal.

I like Comiso's layout, and you could perhaps make a model specific background in the style he's already done, like for example: a B-17's profile could have a background montage of maps, bomb silouettes and some generic noseart, a Bf109 could have a knight's cross and a pilot's helmet gloves in the background and a F4F Wildcat could have a few tropical snapshots, goggles and some .50 caliber bullets in the background...

Just an idea :)

This looks badass and has my vote..... I like it alot..... I also like the idea of 5 rotating images, with this being one of them.....

73541.png

Yeah i got a similar pic of that Corsair i'll pull it up for ya here

Attachments

• yng-17.jpg
    yng-17.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 111
There are plenty of actual photos of aircraft that can represent the participating nations of WWII well enough without the worry of infringement.

The idea of using IL-2 aircraft is a good one, but the game's aircraft detail can't compare to the read deal.

I like Comiso's layout, and you could perhaps make a model specific background in the style he's already done, like for example: a B-17's profile could have a background montage of maps, bomb silouettes and some generic noseart, a Bf109 could have a knight's cross and a pilot's helmet gloves in the background and a F4F Wildcat could have a few tropical snapshots, goggles and some .50 caliber bullets in the background...

Just an idea :)

Yeah, I like it because that way you can adjust the colours and such depending on the aircraft and its colours. While I like real photos, I think Il-2 screenies would be the safest route as we can get exactly what we want without being worried about copyright issues. I'll download cosimo's PSD tommorrow and take a peek. I'd rather have it on my Mac since I use it more and this PC's kinda slow.

And my only suggestion from just looking at it cosimo is lessen the blur on the Corsair. Keep it, but just lessen it a little bit just so it's a little easier on the eyes.

But no mods have shown interest... is all for naught?

It is not that I do not have interest. I am just reading everything and taking it all in.

Now having said that, here are my 2 cents:

1. I like the idea of 5 rotating images with a different aircraft representing a different nation.

2. I do not like the idea of using Il-2 screen shots or any graphics from any game. Why? Because even though this site has a gaming section, games are not the main purpose of this site. I do not want people to think this is a pure gaming site and then the interest in the real aircraft becomes 2nd fiddle.

I figured the mods were watching just to see where this would go. Adler or any other mod...........has this been discussed with Horse? Any input from him?

If we go with a 5 plane rotation, these would be my 1st choice to see.

USA - B17
England - Spitfire
Japan - Zero
Germany - Bf-109
Russia - Il-2

2nd choice
USA - Pick a fighter (F4U, P-51, P-47, F6F)
England - (Hurricane or Lancaster)
Japan - G4M Betty
Germany - Stuka
Russia - Yak-3

I figured the mods were watching just to see where this would go. Adler or any other mod...........has this been discussed with Horse? Any input from him?

If we go with a 5 plane rotation, these would be my 1st choice to see.

USA - B17
England - Spitfire
Japan - Zero
Germany - Bf-109
Russia - Il-2

2nd choice
USA - Pick a fighter (F4U, P-51, P-47, F6F)
England - (Hurricane or Lancaster)
Japan - G4M Betty
Germany - Stuka
Russia - Yak-3

All this may be done at the expense of aesthetics.
ww2aircraft.net should be treated like a business with a brandible ID. If multiple aircraft are used than there must be a standardized unifying theme...(color, font- a template) The different mast heads have to look like they're representing the same site. They have to look VERY similar. This is difficult to do when you're starting with a list of specific aircraft. Some photos will be in color, some B&W-the styles may not match. Some pics will have a higher resolution then others. Not every nation needs to be represented... consistency between the mastheads will be a challenge.

Pick a good design that screams "WARBIRDS" and If you happen to find aircraft that fit the template then plug them in...

It is a mistake to start out determined to make specific aircraft work. Any ww2 warbird is fair game... who cares where its from.

Dont let politics ruin the aesthetics!

I was simply making a suggestion of planes I would like to see, not trying to set in stone the ones that MUST be used. You say all WW2 planes are fair game, and I agree. My point was I'd rather see a B-17 than a Po-2. Adler mentioned 5 different panels. I was just picking 5 planes I like from 5 different countries.

You also said.....The different mast heads have to look like they're representing the same site. They have to look VERY similar. This is difficult to do.

I Agree, except for the last sentence. It's easy to do. In photoshop you set the border, text, plane, etc., then just change the plane. Everything else stays identical. Just like post #76 in this thread. All I did was change the color. It's simple to change the plane, leave everything else, and the aesthetics stay in tacked.

I was simply making a suggestion of planes I would like to see, not trying to set in stone the ones that MUST be used. You say all WW2 planes are fair game, and I agree. My point was I'd rather see a B-17 than a Po-2. Adler mentioned 5 different panels. I was just picking 5 planes I like from 5 different countries.

You also said.....The different mast heads have to look like they're representing the same site. They have to look VERY similar. This is difficult to do.

I Agree, except for the last sentence. It's easy to do. In photoshop you set the border, text, plane, etc., then just change the plane. Everything else stays identical. Just like post #76 in this thread. All I did was change the color. It's simple to change the plane, leave everything else, and the aesthetics stay in tacked.

Thats my point, A Po-2 is just as valid as a B-17 and if aesthetically the resolution, shot angle, color ect fits the template better then the Po-2 should be used!

>>It's easy to do. In photoshop you set the border, text, plane, etc., then just change the plane. Everything else stays identical. Just like post #76 in this thread. All I did was change the color. It's simple to change the plane, leave everything else, and the aesthetics stay in tacked.

I'm sorry but your standards are different then mine. I very much disagree. How long have you been a professional designer?

I'm sorry but your standards are different then mine. I very much disagree. How long have you been a professional designer?.

WHAT????

I'm agreeing with you....... You said they all have to look alike and I said I agree.

I don't have to be a professional designer to know what I like.

All I said is it's easy to leave the layout the same but change the plane.

All I said is it's easy to leave the layout the same but change the plane.

And that is precisely what I'm disagreeing with. That is a short statement that represents ALOT!

It's easy to do but not always easy to make look good. Thats why a Po-2 should be used over a B-17 if the composition works better.

with the folks on this site we should be able to source our own photos . select a few guys that have the skill with photo shop and ask for a fewsubmissions from the various members for consideration and see what transpires
for my RAF I give you

Attachments

• IMG_1441_1_1.JPG
    IMG_1441_1_1.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back