WWII Pop Quiz!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Their target was a Japanese naval vessel in the Huangpu river. They dropped 2 bombs in the neutral sector of the city , damaging the Palace hotel and Sassoon House when it bounced of the wall and landed in a crowded street. Over 400 casualties between dead and wounded, both Chinese and foreign creating an incident known as "Black Saturday"

USS Salt Lake City?

(I'm not sure if that answer is valid, since I looked it up online. Is that okay?)

Are we allowed to look up answers online?

As far as the question goes, I believe the victor was flying a P-61, but I don't remember who it was...

Zero?

[Edit] Changing my answer after some research (is looking things up allowed? I'm still not clear on that)

P-61 and "Tojo"?

Last edited:
I believe smoke had it right with the Tojo.

The last aircraft destroyed before the Japanese surrender was downed by a P-61B-2 named "Lady in the Dark" of the 548th Night Fighter Squadron. The aircraft piloted by Lt. Robert W. Clyde and R/O Lt. Bruce K. LeFord on 14 August/15 August 1945 claimed a Nakajima Ki-44 "Tojo." It should be noted, though, that the destruction of the "Tojo" came without a shot being fired. After the pilot of the "Tojo" sighted the attacking P-61, he descended to wave-top level and began a series of evasive maneuvers which ended with his aircraft striking the water and exploding. Lts. Clyde and LeFord were never officially credited with this possible final kill of the war.

I have as a KI-43 Oscar but in researching more I found the following

"the last Japanese aircraft destroyed in World War II were by a Convair B-32, "Hobo Queen Two," which destroyed two A6M Zeros on 18 August 1945."

so now Im really not sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back