'Yellow 10' Focke Wulf, FW-190D-13 (Only one in the world, and yes it flys)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SPEKTRE76

Airman 1st Class
Oct 13, 2012
Oak Harbor, WA
Enjoy my friends!

IMG_0655.JPG
IMG_0656.JPG
IMG_0659.JPG
IMG_0661.JPG
IMG_0663.JPG
IMG_0665.JPG
IMG_0667.JPG
IMG_0669.JPG
IMG_0677.JPG
IMG_0679.JPG
IMG_0681.JPG
IMG_0683.JPG
IMG_0685.JPG
IMG_0687.JPG
IMG_0689.JPG
IMG_0693.JPG
IMG_0695.JPG
IMG_0701.JPG

The reason the JG53 Pik-A's emblem is on the plane is that because the pilot was the CO of JG53 at one point prior to flying with JG26

Last edited:
Gotta make it out that way some day.

Although deemed to be flyable, are you sure it was actually ever flown? If so, I'm not aware.

Still waiting for some of the pics to load - think they need re-sizing. I'm not aware of it actually being flown either, and I doubt it ever will be - far too rare and, although fully restored, might not pass a C of A.

Still waiting for some of the pics to load - think they need re-sizing. I'm not aware of it actually being flown either, and I doubt it ever will be - far too rare and, although fully restored, might not pass a C of A.

I curator was unaware of it ever being flown. He said it was actually found intact however it is airworthy. It has an FAA ID serial number on it just under the elevators. I wish my propeller logo shot wouldn't have come out grainy but I was using my iPhone. I need to go out there with a proper camera.

I am a bit curious as to why it can reach 440mph at FL370 and only 426 at FL216 with less air being up there for the supercharger to work with?

Last edited:
Pics need to be re-sized. far too large. 800 - 1024 px width is optimum.

I'll remove them and re-sized them. I just thought your server did that automatically.

=======Update=======

Re-sized brother! =o)

Last edited:
Chris, take a drive down to Virginia Beach and you'll see one. I think they're planning to fly that one.

VA Beach had one this WHOLE time and I was stationed there and didn't know!!!!!!!!?????? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Surrendered to the RAF at Flensburg and earmarked for the americans,assigned number USA 14 (self explanatory)

It was flown in mock dogfights against RAF Tempests by Major Heinz Lange,Geschwader Kommodore JG 51,who considered the two types evenly matched.

The Americans apply the number FE-118. Ferried to Gilze-Rijen in the Netherlands where,luckily for us,a Canadian airman named Ross Finlayson took a beautiful series of photographs of the aircraft.
Ferried on to Cherbourg from where it was shipped (19th July 1945) to the USA,ultimate destination Freeman Field.

Post war,sent to Dobbins Army Base in Georgia,with the wrong wings,for static display.
Freeman Field didn't it them back and the aircraft was taken by Georgia Tech.

Bud Weaver swops an Aeronca Champ aero engine,needed by Georgia Tech's flying school for two german aircraft including Yellow 10. They are stored outdoors and frequently moved,falling into a state of disrepair.

Weaver died in 1966 and the remains of the aircraft passed through various hands before being bought by Doug Champlin in 1972.

Champlin financed a retoration for static display and the aircraft was exhibited at the Champlin Fighter Museum near Phoenix for many years. It didn't fly but the engine was run,most notably in 1990 in the presence of veterans,both German and American.

Champlin financed another restoration to flying condition,starting in 2000. There was never any intention to actually fly the aircraft. It was at this time that the wrong wings were discovered. The correct wings were attached to the D-9 at the USAF museum and a swop was agreed.

In July 2007 Paul Allen of the Flying Heritage Collection purchased the aircraft.He too has vowed never to attempt to fly the aircraft.

You can see other "Doras" but Yellow 10 is the only D-13 to have survived and is unique.

Cheers

Steve

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Good stuff indeed Steve! They told about how they discovered the wings were wrong. They said that the shell ejector ports did not line up properly nor did the gun ports. He also said that the book that features the restoration of this aircraft you can see patches on the wing edges.

The D-13 also had assisted ailerons. The hydraulics were in the fuselage of Yellow 10 as originally restored but had nothing to connect to in the "wrong" wings :)

Crandall was involved with this aircraft from an early stage,certainly when Bud Weaver was still the owner and the aircraft was in a very sorry state.

BTW I like that Fw 190,it's one that I'm familiar with !

190_cam_zps3994c2db.gif

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
Great info Steve but I'm a bit thick this morning and not getting the significance of your above picture.....

BTW, this aircraft is on my To Do list - a major airbrushing challenge for me!

been all over yellow 13 years ago before it's move, touching and reaching into the cockpit -- a definite no no, flyable well that is questionable every crate there has been on the tarmac fired up engines at full run........ good to see again the camo completed with Jerry C's help.

Great info Steve but I'm a bit thick this morning and not getting the significance of your above picture.....

BTW, this aircraft is on my To Do list - a major airbrushing challenge for me!

Sorry! It's the aircraft that SPECTRE76 has done a skin for,I can see it at the bottom of his last post. I built mine a few years ago now.
I've always found it a very cool (no winter pun intended!) scheme.
Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back