Your stereo.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Parm... they look good too.

I have VR3 Boston Acoustic speakers and large center channel
Yamaha 120 watts per channel receiver
Klipsh 10 inch sub woofer

.. nothing too great but enough to wake the neighbors..

Computer speakers- nothing flash, however my great uncle was into that stuff and he had a lot of money to play around with he bought all his gear in the 1980's however and it is not compatible with my PC's sound plug (obviously) are there any adaptors to convert the older larger plug to the newer smaller plug, I know his stuff is quality because he was a sound geek.
Any help would be apriciated.

I'm a novice audiophile, with limited budget and WAF. Cinema is sound is an afterthought to me so here goes:

Main system

Rotel 1080B 200w/ch Amp
Rotel 1090 Preamp
Bowers and Wilkins 703 Speakers
Velodyne FRS-10 Subwoofer

Sources
Pioneer Surround Sound Receiver (powers center and surrounds)
Sony DVD Player
Sony 200 Disc Carousel
Sony EX CD Player

Surround Sound Speakers
Yamaha Center Channel
Optimus Pro X77 Surrounds

Attachments

• product_126580.jpg
    product_126580.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 125
  • rb1080_front.jpg
    rb1080_front.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 235
  • untitled.bmp
    29.2 KB · Views: 124
  • velodyne FSR-10.jpg
    velodyne FSR-10.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 143
Parm, those speakers are neat, very simplistic and I like 'em. I'd love to have a listen! I just purchased a $400 camera, so I'm gonna post some new pics of my equipment soon. :)

Matt, I really like your main system : if you are a 'novice audiophile' either you were well guided by the vendor or you have very good ears!

Also Comiso's setup looks well designed (in this case I can't say more because I never listened to that model of Bostons..): seems that a lot of us is into good sound reproduction!

Aussie, what exactly is your problem?
If you want to use PC as a source (i.e. playing your mp3 files on the main 'old' system) the answer is easy: get a "stereo-minijack to cinch" cable (you can find it in most electronic stores, should be in the $5 range) and connect the output of the PC to any high level input of the ampli or preamp (those marked 'aux' or 'tuner' are ok; then just select the appropriate source on the amp.
Just bear in mind that sound quality will not be on par with the CD.... :) :)

200 watt?? what do you do with it, smash your neightbours windows?? :lol:
I just have a 65 watt stereo fender amp, doing just fine for small gigs (never put the gain knob past 3) and with bigger gigs we put it over our our PA.

Pretty much. I went to a rehersal studio with a metal drummer so full double kick. Couldn't take it past 4.5 otherwise i couldnt hear him:lol:

However its now gone :(

And I have a 15watt prac amp to use for the time being.:D

And I have a 15watt prac amp to use for the time being.:D

Hmmm, that sucks. Had one of those earlier, but the lead channel sounded like a bee in a beer bottle. Sold it quick. Then bought a 100 watt Hughes and Ketner, but this little Fender sounds so much better with it's two speakers. And still it's loud enough. Would like a Marshal tho for the rough stuff. Their distortion usually really kicks @ss.

Thats more than Novice Matt. --- nice

I have a 330 cd disk changer too but I havnt used it since I got satellite radio.

It's taken a while to get there. I'd like to have a good SET tube amp, but really need a new rack to my gear in. I love good quality music. If you have a decent stereo, I swear you can learn to like ANY kind of music. Well except most hardcore rap garbage.

Being an audiophile is becoming a dying pursuit. Enjoy it while you can. You can get some great analog phono gear dirt cheap nowadays. Don't turn you nose at it. But as CD sales have declined about 14% a year over the last 10 years, record sales are up over 10%. Go figure. CDs are becoming cheaper and records are becoming more expensive! Even used for goodness sake.

Yup. I It's these damned plastic "disposable" stereos that you can basically plug in and go. Quality goes down but ease of use goes up, basically my generation would rather spend their time listening to music that doesn't involve their minds, therefore shunning their ears from the equation too. I could go on and on. Like I said before, my stereo isn't super hi-fi, but it's impressive and I bought every damn piece of it with out a job. I would make stuff, sell it, or aquire things and sell them. Some of it was free, but I made it work. Yeah, maybe some people don't have the time or the will, but dammit, listening to Iron Man on my stereo and listening to it on a bookshelf/home theater-in-a-box will not compare.

The opening bass drum drives likes nails up through your legs and makes your heart skip a beat, to the beat, Toni Iommi bringing forth the dropped down guitar into your ears, it makes you shutter, when the bass riff rips through the 12" subs and the speakers simultaneously, you open your mouth to ask me if Sabbath inhabits my room, but I'll be damned if I could ever hear a word you say.

For my music, a bi-amped system with seperate bass level control is perfect. Because not every song warrants lots of bass. Godzilla by Blue Oyster Cult likes bass, but Caught In A Mosh Needs a lil less so. My tweeters don't scream. Well, before I blew one, they didn't. :lol: So anyway, I really do spend hours tweaking small things like wiring, and I've tried random "tricks" and I used to clean all of my inputs and cables regularly, but I've gotten lazy. I probably should. It's probably healthy.

Most of my generation don't know what a Sansui is. All they care for is bass in their trunk. Yes, I have the POTENTIAL for more bass than most cars, but I don't abuse it. I walk down the street and I hear the crappiest sounds coming from cars. Makes me sick.

Rap does as well. But there was good rap once, fun rap. Not gold, platinum, drug and car-obsessed rap. Why the hell would you waste the money to put diamonds and platinum on your frickin' teeth? What happens when one falls out and you eat it? You crap it out and dig it out of your sh*t and put it back in your mouth? Ugh. Rock these days is almost as bad. Watered down and wasted.

I hate the generation I was born into. Because of the dumb fools I am forced to associate with, I am sterotyped and when I get a car my insurance will be double what it should be. Because idiot kids go out and drive like morons and get in wrecks.

Ugh.

The despise history and science and now Japan, what was once a pretty screwed country makes every important step in science and technology. I wanted to be scientist once. But in the US there's nowhere to go. I wanted to be a paleontologist once. But noone really cares about what happened 100 million years ago, so there's be no future. My career choices suck because noone cares about what's important. I want to study WWII and get paid, hell if you could do that, everyone on this forum would be rich! But there isn't a job like that, why?

Because history is so far down on the ladder of important issues, even though it affects us now so much it isn't even funny. I may only be 19, but I've faced death, I've held a person's life in my hands, 3 times, and dammit I just want to live a good life. This world is f*cked up and noone could give a damn about what happens to our soldiers fighting our wars, our veterans from yesteryear, or what happens to our own. I'm so confused in life...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back