Zaggs Fw 190D-9 211164 - Black <4 and his continuing scratchbuilding adventures...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great work Dan, and a thorough description of what you're up to. I don't know that we'll ever clearly resolve the C variant fornt-line deliveries and WNr's unless some new eureka documentation emerges from somewhere.

Well thank you all - I will continue the posts/entertainment as we continue! Alas tonight, nothing got done - I only got home at about 4am and dint sit down at the PC til about 4:30am... Soon to bed after a quick bit of online shopping. Tomorrow's goal is to get the RH side engine bay plumbing (the stuff that comes through the firewall) and engine mounting arm done, then repaint/wash the bulk of the engine and radiator dump ramp insides so the radiator cowling can be (finally) attached to the fuselage. Its kind of exciting actually, though I expect its partially because this is my first build in 15 years and partially knowing if I can do things right, I have the skill-set still to move on to what has become known as the 'Long Nose Focke-Wulf Project' (my 48th scale Fw 190D-9(e)/D-9(l)/D-9(*)/D-11/D-13, Ta 152H-0/H-1/E-1/C-1 builds)...

Great work Dan, and a thorough description of what you're up to. I don't know that we'll ever clearly resolve the C variant fornt-line deliveries and WNr's unless some new eureka documentation emerges from somewhere.

Yeah, but the pictures are starting to suggest an interesting story - as well as reinforcing two 'facts' about the spring of 1945; i) the end was relatively swift and sudden for Germany and ii) war production, despite conditions, was still capable of producing in numbers, high-technology aircraft... But like all modern warfare, mobility is key (both offensively and defensively) - and mobility requires fuel. If you got no fuel, you're static and its all over!

Also of surprise is that I am finding the Schiffer Ta 152 book of more 'use' to me - it cost me about $30 online (claimed to be second hand, but I can see no evidence of use) compared to the EE Ta 152 book, that cost about $100 (new). The EE book does have some interesting Ta 152E-1/H-11 pictures though... But yeah, there is nothing in the pictures of C-1's in either book that sheds any light on Werk Nummern of produced a/c; which is a shame - one of the rules I'm trying to stick to is to only model a/c with Werk Nummern, unless it was not painted on the a/c. These C-1's are going to 'bend' this rule... OK, this is off topic however ;)

And there-in lay another of my 'rules', for the 'Long Nose Focke-Wulf' project at least; I'm trying to steer clear of the V-series/prototypes. I don't even want to think about how many 'prototype' variants there are with different engines, cowls, gun-fits, etc, that are related to the Fw 190D and Ta 152 series... You'd probably argue the Fw 190F-14 (the BMW-engined Fw 190, with the Ta 152 series tail, photographed on scrap heaps at the end of the war) should then also be included, because it used the 8.152 tail! Hahhaha. Thus, operational types come first - and yes, I am stretching it with the Ta 152E-1 (or H-11), but they were photographed seemingly complete, awaiting 'pick up' at the end of the war... If records are to be beleived, both the E-1/H-11 (I prefer to call it E-1 in my head to differentiate it from the H-series; H-11 always looks like a typo of H-1 to me!) and C-1 a/c were completed in March 1945, as well as 'hybrid' E-1/C-1 aircraft, after MMW-Erfurt were ordered to use the their E-1 fuselages for C-1 a/c. What confuses me tho, is the designation change to H-10/H-11, to me this suggests the use of the H-series wing, where as the E-0/E-1 would have used the C-series wing??? Have to do more quiet reading when the time is near!

And yes, again, I have gotten side-tracked! hahahaha

Oh, but before I stop chattering on about the C-1, I want to breifly make mention of the presumptive Werk Nummern assigned to the two 'on strength' C-1/R-31's.
i) Where in fact did the 'R-31' standard come from? all three designated manufacturers, ATG (Leipzig), Siebel (Halle) and MMW (Erfurt), were to build the C-1/R-11? Was the R-31 a 'field upgrade'?
ii) EE suggests the Werk Nummern 600001 and 600002, suggesting the a/c came from MMW; block assignments (as I understand) were ATG (Leipzig) - 920xxx, Siebel (Halle) - 360xxx and MMW (Erfurt) - 600xxx.
a) Remembering this, photo's of virtually COMPLETED (yet undelivered) E's from MMW exist, suggesting that the switch to the C-1 occured after E-series production had commenced - but NO E-series a/c appear to have been delivered!
b) I've not seen images of ANY C-1's from MMW-Erfurt; Erfurt seemed to be focused on the Jumo 213E based a/c - but on the other hand, I have seen an image of three seemingly complete C-1's from Siebel-Halle that were destroyed before being captured.

SO, could this actually suggest the Stab./JG 301 Ta 152C-1/R-31's, were in fact C-1/R-11's from Siebel, and thus sported werk nummern in the 360xx range (such as 360001 and 360002)? And what were the directives for Ta 152 Werk Nummern anyway? H-0's seem to have had the leading two digits deleted, such that 150002 sported 0002 and 150007 sported 0007, while H-1's had the full werk nummer, such as 150169.

OK, OK, OK, I'm derailing my own thread!!! ;) Back to work here!

Dan

Addendum 1 - ah but then there's that Fw 190D-15 that I wanted to make, using a Dragon D-12 and the spare parts from a HobbyBoss Ta 152C-1... That fits into neither the Prototype/V-series thing or the production thing! ;)

Addendum 2 - was about to join the radiator cowl/engine to the fuselage (after adding a bunch of lower engine pipes and detail, before a few washes and stuff), when I remembered I had to extend the fuselage about 0.3mm-0.4mm, to replace what had been lost in my earlier attempts at building the radiator dump ramp. Was really keen to get these joined, but that will have to wait a few hours...

Last edited:
I find the combination of Macro-Photography and Scale-Modelling a rather frustrating set of bed-fellows... This that look FINE in the hand, take on a whole new (and nastier) look at 7.2 MegaPixels when they appear 10 or more times larger than you'll ever really see the model. What I am talking about tonight is the 'painted on' straps around what I think is an oil reservoir - in the hand, these look quite passable (especially considering the lack of weathering on that part), but in photos - YUKK! Thus, I have decided, after taking a handful more photos (as every seems to love it when I share) that I will repaint this tank and use black or dark grey decals... In fact, if the clear decal sheet arrives in the next few days, I'll print some decals out, that include the clasps and etc, that hold the straps tight around the tank; I think that will be the best solution.

Thus, just for 'shits and giggles', I've placed the incomplete MG 131's on the model as is, and taken some happy snaps...

D-9_013.jpg

Today we extended the front end of the fuselage by about 0.3 - 0.4mm, with an insert of plastic card, then attached the radiator cowl and engine - after we added a bunch more stuff to the bottom of the engine (requiring further deviation from the AiRes instructions). Noticable is the fact that the Aires kit provides a distributor and 8 ignition leads, where it should be 12 and the plumbing under the engine is laid out differently that suggested by the kit - however, most of what you need is there, so its a case of consult references and detail accordingly.

Now despite the blob of curing Squadron Green Putty, we have now added the engine, the radiator return (that comes back through the dump ramp) and major engine plumbing (more to come), left and right mounting arms and braces for each. Additional Engine Bay detail has begun with the addition of the oil reservoir and additional piping - the minor piping and fuel lines (that connect to the LH side of the firewall) are yet to happen. What is slightly depressing is that much of the upper half of the engine 'vanished' beneath the tanks, mounting arms and braces - that was looking really good.

D-9_012.jpg

However, the bottom looks good. Washes and Bry brushing, plus the odd streak of coloured lines, make things look rather busy. All we're missing are a few extra pipes (the white overflow pipe around the front end of the engine and enxtra plumbing at the rear... Smoothing out those radiator cowling joins has not proven a cake walk either! Hinges have been added for the rudder and will soon be added for the ailerons. Joining of the wings is not far away either, once the radiator seams have been sorted out...

Dan

Oh, and for those who care, earlier in the week I ordered a few sets of Fw 190D-9 (w/ ammo boxes) engine plugs, Fw 190D-11/-12/-13 (w/o ammo boxes) engine plugs and some 'A-Series Centre Wing Fairings' in resin from the US. While the castings (from pictures) dont compare to a Verlinden or Aires 'full' Jumo 213A-1 kit, for 'filling the void' above the open wheel whells of Dragon (or Tamiya) Fw 190D's or even the Italeri Ta 152, they look like they should do an adequate job - particularly when complemented with some plumbing...

Having recently been told these first became available in 1999 or something (and seeing reviews dated 2000), I was pleasantly surprised to find the company still in operation - start, the prices very reasonable (US$4 per plug and US$2 for a centre wing fairing) and impressively quick service; I sent an email to them and within 30mins had the replies I needed! The website isn't much to look at, nor overly 'friendly' (ok, I am biased; I designed, wrote and maintained various small-medium business websites for a few years, so if I was Parts-R-Parts, the site would work a WHOLE LOT different), but for the 'Long Nose' groupies that have more than one Tamiya or DML kit laying round, the service and parts should make up for that deficiency. I bought a half dozen plugs and 2 or 3 centre wing sections - thought I'd share...

Ah Crap... Was just startled by people BURSTING through my door and not knocking... Aformentioned Fw 190D-9 and Jumo 213A-1 (and accessories) are now in pieces. People are about to end up the same way...

Yeah... busted the engine mounts, arm braces and cracked my freshly finished cowling seams! Oh and separated the engine - I can only assume, being the REALLY HEAVY END (all that sold resin, metal and extra plastic), it hit first and took the brunt of it. Still, gives me a chance to revise the Cowl Alignment (which when all was said and done, 'felt' slightly misaligned) and re-shape/re-paint the Oil Reservoir. But for now, things are re-glued and curing.... again! ;)

Damn! I'm sure you'll get it sorted though Dan.

I know what you mean about close-ups. They can be brutal, but the plus side is that they can reveal things that, once fixed, add to the finished product.

Close ups are heart-breakers at times! hahahaha... Everything is back in one piece now (and reinforced), except for the 'top' radiator seam, currently curing Squadron Green now. The rebuild has resulted in a bit of extra plumbing in the lower-rear and the left hand side of the firewall. And its becoming a really heavy model - in hindsight, from the cockpit firewall forward is almost solid resin and metal, while the rear fuselage is lined with copper wire, methanol tank made from metal and rudder is resin; wings have resin ailerons, metal flaps and innards... Oh and I have also drilled out the small 'flap setting' windows on the upper wing surfaces.

It feels like its getting close - just the radiator and wings seams to go, a few aileron hinges (three on each side) and we're good...

Cheers lads... Being an insomniac has its advantages, in that Ive been able to catch back up to where I was and then move on a bit... The radiator cowling is re-attached, with some modest sized 'skimmings' of Squadron Green over the two flush joins (I can't really say if thats a fault with the kit or not, due to the amount of work that been done on the nose) and some gentle re-shaping of the whole cowling. Engine, mountings, braces, plumbing and wiring is all back in and has been attached a bit stronger this time. And just to make me feel good, the prop (which is passable - I'm trying to resist working on that too! ;) has been built, and like the wings, snapped on in place so I can admire.... Its interesting how that big spinner on the front just 'suddenly' makes everything look right

All that is required in the engine bay now is the MG 131's, the 'new' oil reservoir, cowling formers and a drainage tube; the MG 131's and drainage tubes are all but done, the cowling formers were etched up a week or so ago (and thus just need bending and mounting), so the oil reservoir is all that really left to be made for this area.

Pictures when things are further joined! :)

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back