Zaggs Ta 152H-0 - St./JG 301 'Orange' - and his attempts to keep things OOTB!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As you can probably tell, the two systems would be rather complimentary on a single engined NF - R-11 to get you to where you need to be and Neptun to find your targets...

Ta152C-1R11N.jpg

And thats what Im thinking a Ta 152C-1 might look like... In fact, I might do this HobbyBoss kit up like that, as I don't really like the accuracy of it; so doing it as a 'what if' makes more sense! And will be fun!

Last edited:
Yeah, the more I look at it, the more I kinda like that RLM74/75/76 scheme - and considering this combination of colours show up on a bunch of late war Bf 109G's as well as Fw 190F-8's and the occational Fw 190D-9, I would feel quite happy shooting a C-1 like this! I'd probably do those lower surface crosses a bit better (ie, B&W on both sides); and I need to knock up a mixture for RLM74; the Lifecolor RLM74 I am using ATM is too Neutral-Dark Grey - I'd likely end up with a 2:1 or 3:1 mix of Lifecolor RLM74 and my RLM83 mix, with black added 'to taste'. I dont consider the Lifecolor RLM74 to be 'green' enough...

I think we have all (reasonably) concluded what my next 'quick easy' meets 'what if' project will be!

Slight variation adding spinner spirals, fixing the underwing Nationals and expanding on the Black-Wing style of things:

Ta152C-1R11N_v2.jpg

I wonder what it would look like in a He 219 'Night Ground Attack' style scheme (also used on other types of course, including the Me262B-1a/U1 NF), with completely black undersurfaces? Which for that matter, is the scheme that I am considering doing a 'what-if' Do 335A-6 in (I screwed up a few weeks back and bought the CRAP Revell Do 335 Pfeil, under the impression that it was a better kit than it is. NEVER Buy a Revell Pfeil! Its going to be one of those 're-engrave' the entire thing, PLUS build a radar operator's cockpit, etc. Thus, it will either be a show-stopper or a project that is put away half way along)...

Or more black:

Ta152C-1R11N_v3.jpg

Or the 'classic' RLM76 Squiggle 'Night Ground Attack' scheme (for a Nacht-Jabo):

Ta152C-1R11N_v3a.jpg

... see what happens when I got bored and start procrastinating these wing-root seams... ;)

Now that I've looked at various the A-6's, through to A-8's that were operated in the NF role, AS WELL AS the HobbyBoss kit (how could they have gotten it so wrong :( ), my favourite is the second last scheme - RLM74/75/76 with RLM22 undersides... BUT after the Eduard D-11 is finished; and the Tamiya D-9 with Verlinden kit, and Quickboost and Aires, etc. Must limit the number of 'on the go' projects!

Lucky, thats the main reason my He219's here have not been started - in scale, the width of that squiggle is about 1.5mm (give or take) and 'squiggle-pattern' is about 5.0mm x 16.0mm - 18.0mm (yes, I did some research and math a while a go to figure out how the scheme's were painted (and the different types of 'squiggles') and how this would scale. The results were a bit scarey! That said, I am DETERMINED to do my Me 262B-1a/U1/N (Red 10) in the RLM76 over RLM75 'Squiggle' (tho on this point, some suggest in the case of this a/c the base colours could be RLM74/75 or RLM81/82 with RLM76 over the top). - but a Me 262 is a MUCH smaller project than a He 219!

Now what did Hobbyboss get wrong... This kit had SO much potential, but to be honest, the engineering is iffy, the surface and surface detail is really poor when you look at kits of the same age and there are 'issues' that are deal-breakers for me. The big one is the 500mm rear fuselage extension; this is perfectly square piece of engineering - ie, the sides are flat, edges are parallel and most importantly when viewed from side on, the shape of this thing should form a RECTANGLE, with RIGHT ANGLES! But what we have are these 'join lines' that are at 10 or 15deg from Square! And it just makes the whole rear fuselage look wrong! The top of the extension is curved (where it should be straight) also!

So basically, if you try and use this thing to do ANY SORT of Rumpfbands, you're just going to make it look even worse! And its SOOOO bad too! Like HOW they could miss this, if they build their 3D model off 'real plans' (and christ know there are copies of those around! I have some for example!)???

Thus the second one I had just went back into its box, unstarted and was pushed to the back of the cupboard; but I figure for a what-if, Nachtjäger project, its good enough!

all the 262twin seat NFs had shades of violet mixed in the scheme. the Ta 152 most likely if would of been an operational NF would not have had any radar at all but would of flown higher than BC 4eng's and then allow the helle nacht conditions of searchlights and the cities fires project the silhouettes of the bombers for effect............

Lucky, thats the main reason my He219's here have not been started - in scale, the width of that squiggle is about 1.5mm (give or take) and 'squiggle-pattern' is about 5.0mm x 16.0mm - 18.0mm (yes, I did some research and math a while a go to figure out how the scheme's were painted (and the different types of 'squiggles') and how this would scale. The results were a bit scarey! That said, I am DETERMINED to do my Me 262B-1a/U1/N (Red 10) in the RLM76 over RLM75 'Squiggle' (tho on this point, some suggest in the case of this a/c the base colours could be RLM74/75 or RLM81/82 with RLM76 over the top). - but a Me 262 is a MUCH smaller project than a He 219!

Now what did Hobbyboss get wrong... This kit had SO much potential, but to be honest, the engineering is iffy, the surface and surface detail is really poor when you look at kits of the same age and there are 'issues' that are deal-breakers for me. The big one is the 500mm rear fuselage extension; this is perfectly square piece of engineering - ie, the sides are flat, edges are parallel and most importantly when viewed from side on, the shape of this thing should form a RECTANGLE, with RIGHT ANGLES! But what we have are these 'join lines' that are at 10 or 15deg from Square! And it just makes the whole rear fuselage look wrong! The top of the extension is curved (where it should be straight) also!

So basically, if you try and use this thing to do ANY SORT of Rumpfbands, you're just going to make it look even worse! And its SOOOO bad too! Like HOW they could miss this, if they build their 3D model off 'real plans' (and christ know there are copies of those around! I have some for example!)???

Thus the second one I had just went back into its box, unstarted and was pushed to the back of the cupboard; but I figure for a what-if, Nachtjäger project, its good enough!

No kidding!? Agree, how can you get that wrong!? This Nachtjäger is interesting!

all the 262twin seat NFs had shades of violet mixed in the scheme. the Ta 152 most likely if would of been an operational NF would not have had any radar at all but would of flown higher than BC 4eng's and then allow the helle nacht conditions of searchlights and the cities fires project the silhouettes of the bombers for effect............

How would they land in the dark if no, was it R11, just put the lights on or? Cheers again Erich! :thumbright:

yes radio and light beacons and then lamps along the A/F. here is wellenmuster for you guys late war from a Ju 88G-6. note the late-war brown-violet camo

farger.jpg

Actually, that would make the 'What-if' Nachtjäger Ta 152C even more fun - R4M batteries under both wings :)

the R4M would of had a more streamlined head as the ones on the 262's of JG 7 unless for ground attack then the 8.8cm Panzerschreck head round would of been used. can you imagine JG 301 going after Soviet tanks with these on the Ta ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back